Crashed - Gen 2 replacement fairings, OEM vs aftermarket

justintime2

What's your story?
Donating Member
Registered
Truck towing a trailer merged into me without looking causing a crash. Whole left side of bike (including the nose) is pretty well toast fairing wise. They're totaling the bike and I may keep it but getting OEM painted fairings won't be an option as it is one of the rare YMG paint code Majestic Gold ones of which there were only a few made.

Getting all OEM fairing replacements will be cost prohibitive if keeping it so the question is are there any of the aftermarket fairing sets (prepainted or not) that are worth a crap? There must be one brand that's better then another or are they all still crap? If the answer is they're all still complete garbage then the bike goes away as I'm not even seeing any mismatched OEM sets I can repaint.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Justin

Last edited:
I bought a set from China and they were nice. But didn’t match the og tank. But then again bike is 2004 so paint fade and what not. I’m also looking for new plastics for my 2008 and might buy another set from China and have the gas tank painted to match the fairings. Good luck find take off plastics. I was almost tempted to buy another bike with matching plastics to swap onto my bike and then just sell the bike with cut up plastics.

Either way good luck on paint matching. And it takes forever for them to get to your door. Keep us posted if you do buy them.

I fitted a Chinese set to a mates R1. I was pleasantly surprised how good they were. Not OEM good but still good value for money. Only a couple of holes needed minor work. I could still tell it was Chinese but at a glance or a few steps back most folk just thought it was a tidy bike.

As Gen-1 and 2’s have been around a while and were popular personally I’d be looking at putting a mixed set together and getting them painted.

I’ve most of a set of Gen-1 panels for this reason, except the tank and front guard, similar with my 1100ET and Bandit. If you’re not in a desperate hurry and do your homework it’s not hard to accumulate a set of bodywork.

I only use OEM, you can't beat the fit.
I have 3 full sets of panels, i just bought one at a time when a good one turned up on ebay. Also don't buy the panels with the slider hole in it unless your fitting sliders. This is because you will always see where the hole was no matter how good the repair and paint is.

So if it was me i would buy a used OEM and have it repainted. And start looking now for any OEM decals you need. There are some websites that have old oem ones in stock, but you have to put the time in finding them.

I have used non oem on my machine. It took a decent amount of time to get it to fit ok. Needed a heat gun as well to close some of the gaps. I used NT. paint is ok didnt hold up to gas on it at all. I have a few white spots because of the fuel contact when i was working on fuel issues. I have decided to wrap my entire bike as a result. I would watch face plant and any other parts site you know of if you are stuck on eom. Chances are very high you will be painting pieces to get it all to match and look good.

Tank and tail are fine so it'll likely be piecing together OEM panels of whatever color as they can be found and then having them painted YMG Majestic Gold. It will just be missing all the specially colored accent decals but that won't be a deal breaker. I'll paint the existing banged up panels flat black and ride it until I've got the fairings done.

Is the best place to keep an eye out for used fairings eBay or is there a better resource?
Also best place to order an OEM Kanji decal set?

Tank and tail are fine so it'll likely be piecing together OEM panels of whatever color as they can be found and then having them painted YMG Majestic Gold. It will just be missing all the specially colored accent decals but that won't be a deal breaker. I'll paint the existing banged up panels flat black and ride it until I've got the fairings done.

Is the best place to keep an eye out for used fairings eBay or is there a better resource?
Also best place to order an OEM Kanji decal set?
I have seen some OEM fairings posted on Facebook groups. Condition of the fairings vary

What year is the bike? I like a good challenge

Would these work?

Why
I only use OEM, you can't beat the fit.
I have 3 full sets of panels, i just bought one at a time when a good one turned up on ebay. Also don't buy the panels with the slider hole in it unless your fitting sliders. This is because you will always see where the hole was no matter how good the repair and paint is.

So if it was me i would buy a used OEM and have it repainted. And start looking now for any OEM decals you need. There are some websites that have old oem ones in stock, but you have to put the time in finding them.
Why 3sets , that's alot of mishaps

What year is the bike? I like a good challenge

Would these work?
Well that's an interesting find, it's a 2009.

Thank you for the links!
that second link shows a gold cowling in stock but instead of a "L" in the description it's got an "SI" so I'm not sure if that a left side or not, I've emailed them to ask.

Truck towing a trailer merged into me without looking causing a crash. Whole left side of bike (including the nose) is pretty well toast fairing wise. They're totaling the bike and I may keep it but getting OEM painted fairings won't be an option as it is one of the rare YMG paint code Majestic Gold ones of which there were only a few made.

Getting all OEM fairing replacements will be cost prohibitive if keeping it so the question is are there any of the aftermarket fairing sets (prepainted or not) that are worth a crap? There must be one brand that's better then another or are they all still crap? If the answer is they're all still complete garbage then the bike goes away as I'm not even seeing any mismatched OEM sets I can repaint.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Justin
I have some fairing parts. Call me chuck 415 370 6680

Back