Crappy Thanksgiving.

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
We found out yesterday that my son's (he's 13) 6 1/2 year old bull mastiff has lymphoma. I also learned that bull mastiffs have a genetic predispostion for lymphoma. There are chemo treatments available but they are very very expensive and only extend the dog's life at most about 11 months. The cancer is typically very very aggressive and she only has 2 months at best. We were hoping she would make it until Christmas. I discovered the tumors on Monday. Had her in the vet yesterday. Monday they were relatively small, today you can see them just looking at the dog. They are growing very fast. Not sure how long she has. We are going back to the vet tomorrow to see if there is any other option.

Anyway here she is this past summer.

Don

shelby51.jpg

sorry to hear.

I lost my shar-pei to cancer a few years ago. cost my about $1,000 in vet bills to find out I could not save him.

There she is... Smart,inquisitive,and alert. Great picture. Have the family remember her that way,and dont prolong any agony that might be suffered by your dog,to gain extra days of comfort to her pack [your family].

This is man's country. And its real fuggin' harsh.

I wouldn't let my lil House Mouse watch me carry away Kodiac on his last day.

This is man's work Don. I dont have to say it.One day soon,you'll just have to take care of business.

If you can prolong it without any discomfort to her...you can do that.

Keep a close eye out thou..... dogs know when they are done.

all my best....RSD.

k.JPG

Andy,
Thanks for the words. I know. Right now she is not in any pain or uncomfortable. She will probably have to move on one day next week, if the tumors keep growing at the rate they are right now.

Don

I am very sorry to hear this. I hope your son gets better, but I fear the worse is yet to come. I used to be really big into Boxers, and I always get very attached to them. I am sorry.

I feel for you bro. Take care of her,baby her, and let her days be filled with love.
She's beautiful.

Sorry to hear this news...

What a beautiful dog she is. Best wishes on her health, and you guy's hang in there...
please.gif

I am very sorry to hear of your dogs condition... but i once read in a book, for all the days of unconditional love and happiness that a dog brings into your life, there is only one thing you could ever do to repay them. and that is to know when to let them go. prolonging the inevitable is not always a good thing. definitely look into your options. but for something so aggressive, hard decisions must be made. but those decisions must be made with that animals best interests in mind. animals are god's angels. sometimes he needs them back. be strong. for the dog, and for your family.

Very sorry to hear about your dogs illness. It's never easy to say goodbye to a good friend like that.

Mark

emily_and_poncho.jpg

I've been down this road before too, Don-it sux bigtime n I feel for your son as well-I lost my first dog in my late teens, but my lil bro at 12 took it much harder than I....make sure he is able to understand what it happening and explain that you will do what is best for the dog, to keep them happy as long as u realisticaly can.

Prayers out to tha fam in this tough time-hope Xmas brings happier times to u n yours.

I'm sorry about Mastiff and for your son. It's never easy for a child to lose a pet... ain't easy on an adult either.

Spoil her rotten, and fill her last days with love.

Beautiful dog.

I feel your pain... had to put down my 6y/o german shephard 2 weeks ago. had heart worms and a bad hip. been nursing him along out of selfishness for over a year because he was a great family pet and watchdog. but when i went to feed him one morning, he couldn't walk to greet me. I can't help but to remember the look in his eyes that day, instead of the bright ones from the past. he had given up and honestly was ready to go. I brought him into the house, cooked him a cheesburger (his favorite treat),sent the kids to school, and went to the vet to put him down. one of the hardest things I've had to do. burried him when the kids got home so they could say goodbye. I should have done it sooner so it would have been easier for me to remember the happy pet we got so attached to. good luck, it aint easy.

So sorry to hear this for you and your family. I pray your dog is comfortable, and that your son can understand and be at peace.

im sorry to hear this,
my family feels your pain also, all too well, last year one of our german shepherds Tanna was diagnosed with Degenerative Myelopathy, in short this is MS for dogs, this June we lost her.
just keep in mind what Rubb said in the upper post, also stay with her till the end, you wont regret it i promise you that.

TANNA.jpg

Sorry Don. Iwent through the same thing with my 16 year old Elkhound. Your dog will let you know when the time is right and he no longer has a quality of life. Let your son know it's OK to be sad, but also let him know it is the ultimate act of love to not let him suffer.

Sorry to hear about your dogs condition. Comfort her
the best you can in her last days and when she is gone
remember all the good times she has given to all of you
as a member of your family.

How is she today Don. Just looking in. Andy.

(P.S. thanks for the wet eyes,your post brought back lots of memories.I had to say "wet-eyes" a meanoldbastid like me doesn't cry).

RSD.

No words can help, thoughts and prayers with you and yours.

I am so sorry to hear about your Mastiff....I have a mastiff my self and let me tell you I am closer to this dog than any other dog I have ever had..They are the best breads and become so close to the family. Hang in there and tell your son it will be better for her. Then the fun begins with gettin another mastiff puppy.

Tough times ahead. Make sure you keep her quality of life in perspective. We all want them to stay longer but its not about us.
love her until she is suffering more than enjoying life and then do the hard thing. I lost my boy in my avitar in July at only 2 1/2 years due to liver disease. Spent $2500 in 10 days trying to save him but I couldnt see him suffer, I loved him too much.
Got that lump in my throat now and eyes getting misty thinking about it......

Back