Couple battery questions

Mythos

Registered
Questoin 1:

Is it okay to attach ring lug of Battery Tender pigtail ground wire to the negative battery terminal? Directions recommend a ground screw on the frame.

Second question:
I have a tiny wire with a fork type contact screwed down to each battery terminal. These are placed on top of the contacts to the thick battery cables. Both of the skinny wires lead over to the sprocket side of the seat compartment and go somewhere to the front. Does anyone else have these? I think they may be the complimentary lizard lights that came on my bike. The reason I ask is because the skinny ground wire is broke off. If this is some OEM part, I guess i better repair that before I ride.

Last edited:
yes you can put the ground wire on the neg terminal as for the other wires they go to something aftermarket.

^^Thanks, tclause. Thought I better ask. I see there is a ground wire from negative terminal that goes down under the fairing to a ground screw on the frame, probably. I may hook the battery tender ground to that eventually but it's too cold to mess around with it now. I'll just go for the battery terminals. That would be the same as using the alligator clips if the battery was removed from the bike. I just want to make sure the battery is safe from freezing for peace of mind. I hooked my other bike up today and the charging light came on for about 2 seconds, then switched to charged. I don't think there is as much danger of an unused battery drawing down in the cold as much as there is in the heat.

Now the little wires.. I'll have to investigate what those might lead to. Has to be the lizard lights. The broken one will be easy to fix with a crimp on ring lug. I might as well show those crazy lights a few times when summer comes back around. Not really my style but they were free.

Thanks for the quick answers.

Connecting straight to the battery will not cause an issue. Fix the wire unless it's melted :whistle:

10 years I've had the BTJr pigtails hooked up to the battery terminals. It's woke out just fine though I normally take the battery out during storage now because of no electricity in my storage unit. Hooked up to the tender over winter, the alligator clips go right on the terminals just like the pigtails.

Back