Finicky battery

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
Well, I found out the hard way just how finicky the battery power can be in these bikes. Bike started perfectly and I rode 25 mins across town to my buddies place to meet up for a ride. When I went to start it up at his house-nothing...then the gauges swept with no lights or fuel pump, then the clock went to 1:00...as soon as I saw that, I knew I had a battery issue.

Off came the seat (I am going to buy the finger screws soon vice the allen bolts), then I too off the + battery lead and noticed a film on the battery terminal. A few scrapes with a flat tip screwdriver and a connection of the +battery lead and boom, I had gobs of power. Set the clock and away we went with no further issues.

I had cleaned the terminals before and used dielectric grease on them which was a mistake to put it directly on the terminal...it seemed to "cook" and create the film.

A quick write up in case anyone else runs into this...

Researched batteries a few years back , I ended up replacing the stock Yuasa with a Shorai lithium battery . It features more cranking amps and is 2.5kg lighter than Yuasa , and has performed flawlessly for more than 3 years now . I ran one in my previous bike , also with great results .

Yeah real cold not tested , my bikes not ever ridden in daylight air temp under 10 Celsius , possibly slightly less degrees on rare evening rides , would be the coldest air temp I'd say . A recommended addition to buying the battery would be the Shorai charger .

Back