Corbin Seats

hans

Registered
I got the Corbin today. Fit and finish are good, but the materials are sucky. I ordered the "standard" configuration, with the Carbon Look Leather and the Asphalt sides. The CLL is SLICK. Girlfriend said she though she was going off on the first corner. I checked their website tonight and it says the CLL has a nylon laminate, which I'm guessing tends to make it slick. The asphalt sides just look plain cheesy. I'll see what they'll do about recovering. I'd go with regular leather and Carbon Look sides if I had it to do over.

Tobin
thumb_up.gif

From their Hollister factory for my 82 CBX I rode down one Saturday morning and chose a cover called elephant hide, or skin, I forget now, looks very good after three years and 20,000+ miles and keeps me in the seat even wearing Cortech overpants. Maybe ask them for that name? Vinyl side sections for longer life and leather seating surfaces (I'm sure its not real elephant skin). They're pretty good about customer service. After 5,000 miles they redid the seatfoam with a softer compound for no charge after I told them it was still just too hard. They also buy you lunch at the cafe next door. So far the stock seat on the Busa fits me just fine and I already have 22,000+ miles on it!
clap.gif

Hopefully they will work it out with you.

I am waiting for mine any day now. I ordered leather up top, vinyl on the sides. Sure hope it's not slick.

Keep us posted

I have the leather and it is slick when wearing leathers. On the plus side, it makes it easy to shift your weight in the twisties. Much more comfortable than the stock seat on long rides, much more!

I had one on my ZX-12 back in 2000. What a pos! It never fit correctly and it weighed a ton
thumb_down.gif
I couldn't send it back because everyone special ordered. I hope you guys have better luck with them.

Based on the contact today I had with customer service, I can say that Corbin is permanently off my list.
My options were according to two different customer service reps:
1. Live with it
2. Send the seats and $350 and we'll recover them.

these seats are not even in the same category as a Tobin.. (having riden both, for touring, I prefer the wider firmer saddle of the Corbin by far) The Tobin is comfy but does not offer the same level of seat support and tends to wear on the back side after a couple hundred miles. Still better than stock but not as nice as the Corbin. (Corbin price is outrageous btw for front/rear w/backrests)

I have the carbon top/sides and the seat is fine.. If I wear my kevlar pant, it is slippery, with leather or denim, they are about the same as stock. Moving in the saddle for twisty roads is pretty effortless in leathers and like greased rails in my cold weather First Gear pant...

I have the backrest on the back seat and the Mrs does not complain at all..

If a guy is only going to be sporting around town or sub 300 mile rides, the Tobin is probably a super seat.. My ride days usually go over 500 miles however and the Corbin is in a league of its own for long haul..

I have not had to deal with customer service however, so I can not comment on how "user friendly" they are

these seats are not even in the same category as a Tobin.. (having riden both, for touring, I prefer the wider firmer saddle of the Corbin by far) The Tobin is comfy but does not offer the same level of seat support and tends to wear on the back side after a couple hundred miles.  Still better than stock but not as nice as the Corbin. (Corbin price is outrageous btw for front/rear w/backrests)

I have the carbon top/sides and the seat is fine.. If I wear my kevlar pant, it is slippery, with leather or denim, they are about the same as stock. Moving in the saddle for twisty roads is pretty effortless in leathers and like greased rails in my cold weather First Gear pant...

I have the backrest on the back seat and the Mrs does not complain at all..

If a guy is only going to be sporting around town or sub 300 mile rides, the Tobin is probably a super seat.. My ride days usually go over 500 miles however and the Corbin is in a league of its own for long haul..

I have not had to deal with customer service however, so I can not comment on how "user friendly" they are
I'm glad you posted this.. I have always had corbin's on my harleys.. For anyone that thinks the busa stock seat is bad, try riding an 02 V-Rod with a stock seat..

Anyway, I could not imagine the tobin being as comfortable as a corbin, but from what I have read on this site I was worried about ordering one a couple weeks ago..

I can't imagine owning 8 corbin seats in the past that all of a sudden they would be crap. I guess I will find out soon though mine shipped today..

BTW, They are really going to charge you $350.00 to re cover them? That is off the hook.

I paid $700 for the set and the first rep said the cost was usually about 1/2 the price of the seats.  Second rep said it would be $2__ something (wasn't really paying much attention by that point) for recovering the seats if I didn't redo the backrest.  I mentioned that someone on this board said they modified the foam for free and she said that was because they could reuse all of the materials.  She asked "what would we do with the old cover."  I restrained myself, but suggested since it was new it could be reused.  She wasn't knowledgeable on the product either.  When I told here the leather was covered in nylon, she said "no they aren't."  Guess she never looked at their own website.  The first guy also told me they weren't covered in nylon so I guess he didn't either.  Isn't covering leather in nylon like having your gold medal bronzed?

If I pay to have them recovered, it won't be by Corbin. I hope the front seat gets more comfortable over time. There are hard sharp corners on the inner thigh.

Bottom line, if you buy a Corbin and are not satisfied with it, you're screwed.

I just got my Corbin seat this year and I can tell you after 3 or 4 500+ mile days, the Corbin is hands down the best seat I have used. As far as cost, I got lucky and didn't have to pay retail for the Corbin or I would still be riding stock..
beerchug.gif

The rear pillion can be recovered for $80 (I just recently checked this direct to repair a used seat I found)

$700 for the set is about right but they are not the most expensive offering out there... The BMW guys will drop twice that for the seat they like (I do not recall the brand but I know someone here can recite it pretty easily)

I am not saying anything bad about the Tobin but it just is not the iron butt seat that the Corbin is.. Honestly the Tobin is much more cosmetic (all the logos etc) and I may even get another one for my in town sporting around, but without a doubt, any highway time will be on my Corbin (albeit rather firm on the can at first)

Hans: the nylon is only used as a topcoat on the carbon fiber seat to give it the texture.. the rest of the line has no nylon.. The top "veneer" of nylon is also ultra thin (is what I have) and breaths just fine.. very unusual product but has not given me any grief at all..

It is rather sad that your experience with them has been so bad... curious about what all happened...

I used corbin seats until I got my first Busa in 03. I have used Suzuki Gel seasts on all three of my Busas and I like them a lot better than the corbins. I had a similiar experience with corbin on a BMW seat. Same story, they wanted a fortune to recover it. Mine was torn when I received it and I couldn't convince them that the seat was damaged when I received it. Maybe try to talk to the owner or general manager... Good Luck.

I've got pretty much that exact setup.

I bought it used, as $750 was a little too high for me. I have the carbon look seating areas on the front and rear, with the backrest.

Yes, they DO weigh a TON. Corbin likes their own seat pan, whichis usually a LOT heavier than stock.
Never keep a first impression of a Corbin seat. They should tell you, and it is on the website, that it can take 1k miles (some seat time) for it to conform to your butt. A lot of Corbin's go up for sale used with little mileage because of this. ( That's how I got mine) Have some patience.

As far as it being slippery, it might still have any polish from the factory on it. You could wear it off naturally, or find a leather cleaner ( maybe LEXOL) that might help. I don't have the problem with mine, so the previous owner might have worn/buffed it off.

This is not my first Corbin saddle, and I've always had good luck with them, I hope you get your troubles worked out to your satisfaction.

Back