Coolant overflow

Rdx@busa

Registered
Hi everyone, was on a 250 km ride yesterday. Things were ok when I switched off the bike. Today morning, when I went to clean the bike, found the coolant reservoir empty and lot of dried coolant splashes on the left lower half ,behind the overflow pipe, ie the side stand and left side of the rear tyre. It seems the coolant overflowed, but the temp gauge never crossed the halfway mark. What could be the reason, please advise. Thanks.( 2005 busa).???:please:

Did you take the cap off the radiator to see the level of fluid?
It should be to the top or just slightly below.
If the level is fine then I would look at the tank to make sure there were not cracks or leaks.

Check all the hoses too.

If everything checks out - then I would take the tank off the bike and clean it out really well.
Let it dry and then re-install it and fill it to the full line and keep an eye on it.

If after the next ride it is empty, then there is a problem.

Good luck.

Well I thought that was a sealed system so you don't want to take the top off as it will let air in and you have to burp it again I thought? If you haven't changed the fluid recently and you're sure it wasn't too full, I would say you are running a bit hot for some reason. Could be a bad thermostat (or one going bad). When mine went south I got a couple squirts from the expansion tank too. You could also have a pin hole somewhere letting air into the system and causing it to vapor lock. Maybe the temp gauge went up without you noticing it during the ride?

Hmm, I'll check on these issues this weekend. Thanks guys, any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated . Regards

Well I thought that was a sealed system so you don't want to take the top off as it will let air in and you have to burp it again I thought? If you haven't changed the fluid recently and you're sure it wasn't too full, I would say you are running a bit hot for some reason. Could be a bad thermostat (or one going bad). When mine went south I got a couple squirts from the expansion tank too. You could also have a pin hole somewhere letting air into the system and causing it to vapor lock. Maybe the temp gauge went up without you noticing it during the ride?

I have taken my radiator cap off and the level was right up to the top.
Replaced the cap and NEVER had any problems. That is the only way that I know of to check how much
fluid is in the radiator. Maybe if you had your own personal x-ray or MRI machine you could check it w/o opening it. :laugh:

I have taken my radiator cap off and the level was right up to the top.
Replaced the cap and NEVER had any problems. That is the only way that I know of to check how much
fluid is in the radiator. Maybe if you had your own personal x-ray or MRI machine you could check it w/o opening it. :laugh:

Ok. I had a similar problem and when I opened the cap I burped the system to be sure no air got in. I was told this by a shop I trust, but there are plenty of people on here who know more than I and can sort this issue out.

Ok,so I took off the left fairing to check for the coolant leak. Checked the reservoir and its hoses , no leak. Checked the water pump , no leak. Then noticed the leak was from the main hose connecting to the thermostat housing. No ruptures, but found fresh coolant coagulated at the tip of the hose where it clamps onto the thermostat housing. Any suggestions , ideas why this could have happened . Thanks.

It just a rubber hose and the bike is an 95 right? That's 10 years so you're into the "stuff happens" range. There are upgraded hoses and even braided steel hoses but I would just replace it with OEM.

I guess you're right. I'll start of by changing the hose and then filling and burping the system. Then take it from there. Thanks guys.

Ok, so I changed the hoses to silicone ones. Topped the coolant. Running well. The previous hoses were the original ones and had deteriorated causing the leak. So hopefully case closed. Thanks guys

Back