Coolant leak from engine coolant temperature sensor

Stupendous

Registered
Used motor I just got. Is the sensor not tight enough? I just pulled the sensor and found the following. That crush washer/gasket looks small. Is that right? I don't want to over torque...

Thanks

coolant.jpg

plug.jpeg

I have a copper crush washer but it is thicker than the one that was in there. I'm worried that the sensor won't be threaded all the way in with the thicker washer and it might back out while in use. I'll give it a try. I just over nighted a replacement washer, too.

The motor is in a sand car.

The thicker washer will be fine!
The sensor you have there is not a Suzuki oem sensor! It probably has a lower temp, than an oem!
I have a copper crush washer but it is thicker than the one that was in there. I'm worried that the sensor won't be threaded all the way in with the thicker washer and it might back out while in use. I'll give it a try. I just over nighted a replacement washer, too.

The motor is in a sand car.

That's what I was thinking, doesn't look oem. I'd buy the OEM one and wire it up correctly. (one wire coming off that thing? oem has 3 if I remember correctly)

Thank you. I put some silicone sealer (coolant safe) on the thread of the sensor and that fixed my leak. When I was looking at the parts microfiche at motosport.com I noticed that the sensor they had was different than mine. Also, the washer I just received today was a copper washer. It was not like the washer I pulled off. The connection is also not very secure (at least for an offroad application) so I'll look into using the OEM sensor that appears to use a clip type connection.

Back