cooking experiment...made my own bacon

Dan

Married to HRH Grammy
Donating Member
Registered
Diana and I decided that we'd give making bacon a shot. It turned out pretty good was relatively easy.

Ingredients:
Maple syrup, kosher salt and brown sugar (Diana knows the ratios).
6lb pork belly

Combine ingredients and rub cure mixture on belly making sure to cover the entire surface. Place in a large sealable bag and turn over daily for 7 days. The belly will be cured when it is firm to the touch with no soft spots. When belly is fully cured, rinse it thoroughly, pat it dry and refrigerate overnight on a cooling rack. Once bacon had “air driedâ€￾ I let it sit at room temperature for 1 -2 hours and got the grill ready. I used a mix of apple and hickory woods to smoke the bacon 160F for about 4 hours until the meat reached an internal temp of 150F then let it cool overnight in the fridge. We sliced it up this evening and had bacon and eggs for dinner.

Here's the pork belly going on the smoker after 7 days of curing.
View attachment 1552966

Here's what 4 hours of apple and hickory smoke will do it to.
View attachment 1552967

After cooling I had to cut it into smaller chunks to fit on meat slicer.
View attachment 1552968

Sliced and ready to cook.
View attachment 1552969

Ready to eat.
View attachment 1552970

Here's your next challenge:

bacon_roses.jpg

Bacon bacon bacon!

I'm thinking a nice blt with some romaine lettuce and Roma tomatoes along with some Kraft real mayo on a nice piece of bread with some orange juice and and and oh crap now I'm really hungry !

it should be against the rules, to post delicious stuff like that without knowing if I've had breakfast or not :poke::poke:

Back