Computer crash

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Replacing Hard Drive. Plug everything in and get to the blue screen where you can go into recover or setup etc. Computer freezes there and can't get it to go all the way into windows. Any ideas?

Are you doing a fresh install of the operating system or did you copy an image of the old drive? If it's the latter, it's probably a bad copy. Also, the BSOD usually will have an alpha numeric error code. If you can write it down, have someone Google it. It will give you a clue as to what might be the issue.

HP Pavillion a6400F. I think my problem is my copy of windows 7 is an upgrade so it won't boot off the disk. So I guess I need a full copy of windows. If I can get into windows I can get the hard drive setup. Windows full is $200 and it's only a $350 computer with a bunch of stuff crammed in it (RAM, Video Card, Power Supply). Might just buy another cheapy and transfer the good parts to that.

Sounds like a bad load as mentioned. The bsod usually also has words with the code. Those indicate what it's choking on though it might not make any sense if you dont deal with it all the time.

Fwiw. Dell has been great for us. Just recently got a new (refurbished) replacement for the wife's almost 2yr old laptop under warranty. The replacement is the model above the one she has and is loaded with way more stuff. Like any brand there are ones to stay away from (vostros w dell for example are crap) but otherwise no issues that weren't fixed beyond satisfaction.

If you didn't create the Recovery disks from the original hard drive, you can order the Recovery disks from HP, somewhere around $30. Then you could run your Windows 7 upgrade. I hope your replacement drive was a solid state, it's like putting a turbo on your Busa!

HP Pavillion a6400F. I think my problem is my copy of windows 7 is an upgrade so it won't boot off the disk. So I guess I need a full copy of windows. If I can get into windows I can get the hard drive setup. Windows full is $200 and it's only a $350 computer with a bunch of stuff crammed in it (RAM, Video Card, Power Supply). Might just buy another cheapy and transfer the good parts to that.

Can buy OEM to get a full copy of windows 7 or 8 for $99. Just leave th serial # on the box it came in and if you do get a new PC you can use it on the new one. goes on sale often for $89. OEM is all I've ever bought all the way back when Win 98se came out.
Newegg.com - Software, Operating Systems, windows 7

Back