THAT'S IT--I'm getting an iMac!

Agree!

Sorry to hear about the BS virus hotrodd7....but buying a Mac to prevent downloading a virus is a kneejerk reaction. Don't get me wrong, Mac's are the shiz once you learn to use them. But a virus can attack either system. Just follow some of the steps recommended above and you should be in good shape. Good Luck!

+2

I have both. I will not buy another Mac. Not because they're not good, but I can find better things to do with the extra $1,000 I'd be saving on my next laptop purchase than just buying the glowing apple logo. :laugh:

Some cheaper advice......Completely wipe out your computer and reformat and try running two operating systems. Use your regular windows and also use linux. There are several different types of linux I personally like ubuntu the best its free to downlaod from the net. Then when you boot your computer you can choose to boot windows or linux. Use linux to browse the internet and what not and windows for any thing else such as word documents that way your information will still be compatiable with other computers operating systems.

Unless your infected PC is way too old/slow to warrant replacement, you should just try to recover the Operating System. First, you need to recover/backup the important data before the recovery process. Just because you're not able to boot doesn't mean that you have lost your data... This could be a good learning experience for you as well.

I use both PC and Mac and I like my Mac better. Don't worry about the process of learning a new operating system. Mac OSX(Snow Leopard) is very intuitive and you will learn it in a day or so.

The chances that you get a virus on a mac is much less than on a PC platform. As well, Mac operating system online updates work 100% - all the time.

Mac or PC, it is important that you back up your data periodically to an external device/hard drive.

I know that the Mac/PC struggle will always be around, but seriously, use what meets your needs and protect it accordingly.

My opinion of Macs did change after I got one, and they tend to fit my needs more than a PC. But you still have to protect them. The jack-holes are still out there trying to destroy your computer for no better reason than a laugh. And as Macs become more popular due to their "virus immunity" more dirt bags will target them. You have to protect your investment no matter what.

I love my Mac and the newer operating systems are great. Snow Leopard is amazing :thumbsup:

But enough rambling from me. Do some research on getting your current computer fixed and protected. Look at a new PC and a new Mac and see what fits your needs and budget.

+1 malwarebytes it will clean it if u can get to safe mode

I got a macbook and my wife uses it all the time to do all the social networking and shopping bs.

The last two pcs I got her both had a ton of viruses and error popups all the time. Now with mac a year later its still as fast and runs as smooth as the first time I powered it up. I'm not a tech geek but I know what works for me now is mac.
Posted via Mobile Device

OK--here's an update---First of all, a HUGE thanks to all your folks that offered advise to this computer idiot!:bowdown: I tried all the downloads, even went out and bought a brand new Norton--NOTHING! Whatever this virus is, it won't let anything load. So, I went on the Dell site and bought a refurbished tower from their outlet store. I was gonna get a new iMac, --but--the wife remined me that Xmas is coming and she needs to buy the kids presents, the truck needs new tires, bla, bla, bla. :whistle: So if this new tower lasts for a year or two--that's cool---then I'm definately getting the Mac. Once again--THANKS for the advise!!:thumbsup:

OK--here's an update---First of all, a HUGE thanks to all your folks that offered advise to this computer idiot!:bowdown: I tried all the downloads, even went out and bought a brand new Norton--NOTHING! Whatever this virus is, it won't let anything load. So, I went on the Dell site and bought a refurbished tower from their outlet store. I was gonna get a new iMac, --but--the wife remined me that Xmas is coming and she needs to buy the kids presents, the truck needs new tires, bla, bla, bla. :whistle: So if this new tower lasts for a year or two--that's cool---then I'm definately getting the Mac. Once again--THANKS for the advise!!:thumbsup:

Motherinlaw got a virus...it was nasty. It wouldn't let me even go to a webpage
that offered a virus scanner. So I downloaded the file to another comuper and
stuck it on my keychain zip drive. Plugged it in and installed it from the zip.
Cleaned it right up. I ran AVG and Adaware...

Never saw a virus this nasty before....

My husband used to fix computers for the AirForce if you would be interested I am sure he could fix it and would do it for free. He loves a challange if you are interested pm me.

People who create viruses will generally target the biggest population there is. Mac users are climbing so there is also more who are writing viruses for them now.

To sum it up... Buy what operation system you feel works best for you. You'll end up needing to protect it from viruses and such.

Back