THAT'S IT--I'm getting an iMac!

rc51ny

Donating Member
Registered
So my daughter is home from college and trolling around on the computer looking at Black Friday ads. Next thing I know she's download a HUGE virus! Tons of pop-ups, computer freezes, shuts down, etc. It won't even allow me to install the re-boot disk or recover data. THAT'S IT! I'm going out and buy a new iMac---no more virus! I don't really know too much about 'em, but from what I hear they're pretty cool. Thoughts?

Last edited:
They are cool, a little bit different than a pc, still a lot of fun too. They also get viruses, just maybe not as many. Although lately I've heard more and more. You won't be disappointed I don't think. Now I'm a big geek and use both pc's and mac and linux on pc's and so on and so on ...

You could just downlad/install AVG Free and clean your pc up.. It did the trick for me very recently when I picked up a virus that dropped a bunch of adware onto my machine..

You could just downlad/install AVG Free and clean your pc up.. It did the trick for me very recently when I picked up a virus that dropped a bunch of adware onto my machine..

OK--kinda computer stupid here---what's AVG?

There is tons of free anti-virus stuff out there, and some you can pay for. Personally I use a mac and have had zero problems. Just avoid questionable links and sites. However, there is nothing wrong with PC's at all. You need to have the appropriate gear no matter what you drive :laugh: ATGATT :moon: :whistle:

Get a MAC, and be happy. It will change your computer experience for the better. You will need to be patient. As with anything, there will be a learning curve (don't worry, it's a gentle curve).

While it is true that MACs are more expensive than many PCs, the adage that "You get what you pay for" holds true here. :thumbsup:

Get a MAC, and be happy. It will change your computer experience for the better. You will need to be patient. As with anything, there will be a learning curve (don't worry, it's a gentle curve).

While it is true that MACs are more expensive than many PCs, the adage that "You get what you pay for" holds true here. :thumbsup:

Considering the software one gets with a Mac they are not as expensive as one might first think. Price out the comparable software for a PC and you'll soon see what I mean. Also the learning curve on a Mac is so much more easier to adjust to then on a PC.

Long story short. A new work mate of mine had been a PC guy since the beginning and just got tired of the same PC BS that he thought was standard with owning a comp. As of 3 years ago he switched to Mac and he wished he believed the Apple hype years ago, wouldn't have wasted so much time & money with the PC's he had.

I'm learning new stuff here. I've tried to restore the PC, on-line antivirus programs, and what ever this virus is -, it won't let anything load. It's like it has a mind of it's own. I've had it! :banghead: I"m going to get a a new computer next week and then take a hammer to this one!:thumbsup:

I'm learning new stuff here. I've tried to restore the PC, on-line antivirus programs, and what ever this virus is -, it won't let anything load. It's like it has a mind of it's own. I've had it! :banghead: I"m going to get a a new computer next week and then take a hammer to this one!:thumbsup:

After a week with a Mac you'll wonder why you didn't make the switch earlier! :thumbsup:

PC's are for tech-heads who like to spend more time tweaking then computing. If you couldn't care less about kernels etc. and would rather just surf the net, edit home movies/pictures and check your e-mail then the Mac is the way to go. If you want to see what makes it tic and how you can modify it then go for a PC.

Considering the software one gets with a Mac they are not as expensive as one might first think. Price out the comparable software for a PC and you'll soon see what I mean. Also the learning curve on a Mac is so much more easier to adjust to then on a PC.

Long story short. A new work mate of mine had been a PC guy since the beginning and just got tired of the same PC BS that he thought was standard with owning a comp. As of 3 years ago he switched to Mac and he wished he believed the Apple hype years ago, wouldn't have wasted so much time & money with the PC's he had.

Absolutely true. Still, a lot of people end up with "sticker shock" when they inquire about MACs. I'm on a Macintosh for 10 years, and still loving it.

Absolutely true. Still, a lot of people end up with "sticker shock" when they inquire about MACs. I'm on a Macintosh for 10 years, and still loving it.

Sticker shock is because they are not very well informed on what's included/not included with both opposing systems. First Mac for me was a PowerMac 8500 and with the current evolution of Macs/comps. I'm loving it as well! :thumbsup:

Take it to a computer repair person for recovery. Then get an anti-virus program and keep it updated....AGV is a great one plus it's free.

I'm going out and buy a new iMac---no more virus!

Keep thinking that and you will find out that's not entirely correct. They get a rootkit instead. Similar problems, but there is no way to know it has happened until it's done destroying the system.

I have run Windows XP, Vista, and 7 in the most dangerous environments without getting any viruses. I had one of my laptops online for 3 days at a hacking convention. It was hit over 26,000 times and it wasn't compromised once. That's not to say it couldn't happen. I do know how to secure my computers.

I have been setting up ZoneAlarm Basic, AVG Free addition and Spybot Search & Destroy on every Windows computer I have worked on for the past few years.

The only computer that did get a virus was because the user turned off ZoneAlarm for some reason. They thought it was preventing them from connecting to the internet at a hotel. It turned out the hotel was having network problems. The next hotel the user went to, he left the firewall off and picked up 147 viruses in a few days. AVG caught most of them. Spybot S&D prevented several from installing. I was able to clean the remaining threats without loosing any data.

Get a good set of tools and use them. Keep them updated. It's ATGATT for computers, and it works. The Windows Firewall is very useful if you set it up correctly. You need to turn off the inbound settings in the advanced settings and it will lock things down pretty good.

To date, the most stable computer platform I have run is a MacBook and Windows 7.

Here's a tip once you get going again... In addition to a good Anti virus and good owner password - set up a guest log on. Any time your using the internet use the guest log on... When logged on as a guest you have limited acess to the operating system ie viruses coming into the computer have much more difficult time acessing system settings and executing code within the operating system. Compicates things for hackers usings off the rack virus and such. Not impossible to slip in a virus through the guest log on just makes a lot harder.

There is tons of free anti-virus stuff out there, and some you can pay for. Personally I use a mac and have had zero problems. Just avoid questionable links and sites. However, there is nothing wrong with PC's at all. You need to have the appropriate gear no matter what you drive :laugh: ATGATT :moon: :whistle:

Agree!

Sorry to hear about the BS virus hotrodd7....but buying a Mac to prevent downloading a virus is a kneejerk reaction. Don't get me wrong, Mac's are the shiz once you learn to use them. But a virus can attack either system. Just follow some of the steps recommended above and you should be in good shape. Good Luck!

Back