Compression vs ticking noise

jumjum01

Registered
Can anyone confirm that raising compression makes the engine ticking noise louder.
I have done a few gen1 engines latly with CR ranging from 11.5:1 to 12.6:1. They seem to become more noisy, sounds a little like valve chatter, but valves are spot on.

Definitely more Pop to the exhaust. Never noticed more valve train noise , zero reason to have any. Bigger cams for the more compression at the same time?
Sounds like ticking valve or exhaust leak. Noise is most noticeable when idle og or throttle is applied. When letting of throttle and engine braking noise goes away.
For this gen1 build I am using gen1 intake cam and gen3 exhaust cam to get strong mid rpm power and decent top end power. I swapped crank to gen2 for more stroke. Before the swap bike made 185hp SAE with same cam setup

Sounds like ticking valve or exhaust leak. Noise is most noticeable when idle og or throttle is applied. When letting of throttle and engine braking noise goes away.
For this gen1 build I am using gen1 intake cam and gen3 exhaust cam to get strong mid rpm power and decent top end power. I swapped crank to gen2 for more stroke. Before the swap bike made 185hp SAE with same cam setup
Sound changes on decel and throttle let off. I would look into cam chain or tensioner

Back