Coast NZ

In Akaroa they farm a Blue Pearl. Which is the rarest pearl in the world. To quote Jacklyn Kennedy. "Pearls are always in style"
In 1887 due to public schools having gathered children from all over began the beginning of the Kiwi accent. You can hear the development of the accent in old recordings.

"Tin ah qui" seems to be a greeting spoken by Maori. I'm not sure what it means.
If you tell a New Zealanders Go Fly a Kite. They'll head to Bristol beach where they fly enormous kites. Think hot air balloon big

Last edited:
Two final observations. There are parts of the South Island where you could farm both sides of the same acre. The hills are high and steep.
There are also pockets of French emigration from back in the whaling days But to hear Kiwi pronunciation of English words spoken with a French accent has to be heard to be believed

Ha, I never knew that about the Blue Pearl in Akaroa. . . . you learn something new everyday!
Glad you're enjoying the series on NZ Johnnie, it's kind of funny hearing you trying to make sense of the Kiwi customs and culture . . I never thought us Kiwis have any accent at all lol, but re the ChCh earthquakes . . until you've gone through something like that disaster, you really have no idea how life changing it can be. And some folks in ChCh were 'untouched' by the quakes, but then other folks had years and years of stress and worry, battling with insurance companies that just refused to pay out and tried every dirty trick in the book!!
Don't get me started . . I'll go on for hours grrrrr.
The city was divided down the middle, the East side and the city centre . . devastated. The West side, basically no damage to housing or infrastructure.
I personally was on the East side, I was red-zoned and had to go. That's why I now live 50kms west of ChCh, in a small town called Darfield, a farming community. I love it. It's peaceful, quiet, no crime, leave your house unlocked no problems, everyone knows their neighbours and there's a sense of security here . . . unlike crime ridden ChCh, with all it's problems and now with the Mosque massacre, the uncertainty of terror occurring again and if so, when?
Don't get me wrong, I love NZ, just not the current crop of problems we are facing daily.

Back