Massive 8.8 Earthquake Hits Chile! ....Hawaii preparing for destructive Tsunami

this is a very serious situation with deaths already in the triple figures and untold numbers injured...we can joke and push our agenda's a lot of the time but how would you feel if it was your families and friends? just look at how we respond when someone jokes about a single biker getting killed!

situations like this call for us to put our differences aside and send prayers, positive thoughts, or whatever you believe in for those who are in this disaster or have loved ones there!

I have friends in Hawaii and Guam. I'm getting stationed in Guam in a few months. Hope to hear from them soon. The waves should have hit Hawaii by now.

When I first read about it I didn't know why everyone was freaking out about 8 Ft waves. Then I realized they were moving at 500 mph!!!!! I can't imagine the force of that.

I don't care what you think, sarcasm and all. It's the increasing amount and stength of natural disasters in recent years that should open some eyes, regardless of what you belive the cause to be.

No, it's called the internet and the ability to get global news information from every corner of the planet earth in a matter of seconds. Natural disasters have always existed and will continue to occur as they always have.

What about the Tangshan earthquake in 1976 that killed over 250,000 people?
Or the Haiyuan earthquake that killed over 200,000 people in 1920?
Or the Honshu earthquake of 1923 that killed well over 100,000?

Yup, something like we've never seen before is going on here.

it is hard for those of us out here and nowing that if your stationed on a ship u have to leave your fam,ily behind and hope for the best while expecting the worst. thanks for all the positive comments, and so far very few indications that it will be a ard hit for us in the islands

So far so good. A couple of the news stations reported that the tsunami has actually begun, but the water level is only 1 meter higher than average. That was in Hilo, HI and I think it is starting here in Oahu as well.

I know that people are going crazy here...we forgot to get groceries this week so figure'd we'd get some burgers to grill later.....no way, the grocery stores are insanity. And I wanted to gas the bike up for a Sunday ride but there's a line over a 1/2 long @ some places.

Either way, I'm sure most of the people in low lying areas are evacuated to higher ground so even if the waves are bad, it means less people hurt.

*also, just heard hilo has been hit by 3 waves so far, the last one being much stronger than the first two...but still just barely fluctuating past previous high water marks*

No, it's called the internet and the ability to get global news information from every corner of the planet earth in a matter of seconds. Natural disasters have always existed and will continue to occur as they always have.

What about the Tangshan earthquake in 1976 that killed over 250,000 people?
Or the Haiyuan earthquake that killed over 200,000 people in 1920?
Or the Honshu earthquake of 1923 that killed well over 100,000?

Yup, something like we've never seen before is going on here.

And how far apart were all of those? This is not a thread to argue these types of opinions. You can take your sarcasm elsewhere. This will only evolve to a war of words, and will accomplish nothing, other than things said that shouldn't be, and/or aren't allowed here.
Leave it be and let others discuss their opinions more directly related.
Done.

And how far apart were all of those? This is not a thread to argue these types of opinions. You can take your sarcasm elsewhere. This will only evolve to a war of words, and will accomplish nothing, other than things said that shouldn't be, and/or aren't allowed here.
Leave it be and let others discuss their opinions more directly related.
Done.

X2. Hopefully people can get to shelter and no lives will be lost. Maybe the warning can save some.
Posted via Mobile Device

This earthquake situation is popping all over the globe. Haiti, Okinawa Japan yesterday, then Chile today? I just got done talking to one of my friends stationed in Okinawa early this morning, then a big earthquake strikes Chile less than a day after. We just can't seem to get a break.

My kid is an exchange student in Denmark and she called me a couple of days ago when they had one, I can only imagine if it was a major one and I could not reach her thousands of miles away......prayers out to everyone.

Haiti was a 7.0 ....8.8 is 800x more powerful then the Haitian earthquake! This could turn out to be really bad :down:

Hawaii will sound State wide warning system at 6:00am local time to prepare residents for incoming Tsunami.

I heard on the news that an 8.8 is 5000 times stronger than a 7.0

I think its hard for us to put into perspective the magnitude of this earthquake. This is the 5th strongest earthquake ever recorded, the movement & force you would have experienced would have been god like. People in the streets would have seen the earths crust rise as and shift as much as 4-8ft! Like something out of a movie.

The fact the loss of life and damage is not a hundred times worse is nothing short of a miracle.

I think its hard for us to put into perspective the magnitude of this earthquake. This is the 5th strongest earthquake ever recorded, the movement & force you would have experienced would have been god like. People in the streets would have seen the earths crust rise as and shift as much as 4-8ft! Like something out of a movie.

The fact the loss of life and damage is not a hundred times worse is nothing short of a miracle.
Yeah unlike Haiti where the center was right under a densely populated area and only 6 miles deep in the earth, this quake was centered off the coast and about 14 miles deep. Luckily Chile is well prepared for this type of disaster, it's a frequent event there.

There was also a completely separate quake in Argentina.

Sympathies go out to anyone who was hurt or lost someone in the 2 events.

Powerful quake strikes Argentina - Americas- msnbc.com

the-end-is-near-stop-global-warming.jpg

heard the sirens sounding about 6am, didnt stop the inlaws from busting up the phone at 0430 though!! g's, Id rather wake up in a room of water. I was evacuated early up to a park in midland, it wasnt till 1030 or so till they locked base down. But we all stared at the coast for 5 hrs, .,after a while i was hopeing to see a lil bit of a hump in the water for all our troubles, but smooth sailing. Oh well, better safe then sorry.

Learning fact of the day.,keep an emergency stash ready just incase. All i grabbed was 4 beers,bottle of Rum, and my computer. Left the wife to fend for what ever she wanted to grab,.lol My only worries was my busa all torn apart out in my work area.,,
2 words--Renters Insurance.

heard the sirens sounding about 6am, didnt stop the inlaws from busting up the phone at 0430 though!! g's, Id rather wake up in a room of water. I was evacuated early up to a park in midland, it wasnt till 1030 or so till they locked base down. But we all stared at the coast for 5 hrs, .,after a while i was hopeing to see a lil bit of a hump in the water for all our troubles, but smooth sailing. Oh well, better safe then sorry.

Learning fact of the day.,keep an emergency stash ready just incase. All i grabbed was 4 beers,bottle of Rum, and my computer. Left the wife to fend for what ever she wanted to grab,.lol My only worries was my busa all torn apart out in my work area.,,
2 words--Renters Insurance.

:lol: Classic! :rofl:

Glad all is well w/ you and our other fellow Hawaiians!

Is there for sure a tsunami heading towards Hawaii?

A day late BIG GUY....:whistle:

Luckily there was no Tsunami in Hawaii....just sort of a really small swale. I think part of Japan saw like a 3ft surge...nothing serious.

It's not an exact science but I think the seismologists(sp?) learned a lot from this one.

Back