{{{{Earthquake}}}}

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
At about 5:00 this morning the was a rocking but it wasn't me causing it
sad.gif
Oh well. We had an Earthquake that was a 4.5 on the ol' scale. I know it doesn't compare to the West Coast but it got our attenion. It started out in AL and shook all of GA and TN. I know there are some guys from AL here, how did you fair? BusaBen did you feel it down on the South Side? All I felt was some shaking and heard it's evil roar. The cabinet doors were rattleing which freaked out the cat
laugh.gif
she didn't know which way to run so she just stood there looking around. Hope nobody had any damage done to their belongings.

Wow! I hope everyone is ok back there. 4.5 compares to out here, we just know what they are as soon as they hit. If you ever get a big one be ready to find a doorway to stand in, or get on the floor next to the bed, and stay away from the windows.

Congratulations! I like our Volcano's
firedevil.gif
thumbs-up.gif
But really wanna see & hear a tornado 1 day.

just when you think your safe.......................

no longer do I live in a tornado active area, but found last week that I live ON a huge fault line. Top that with living less than 100 miles from two active volcanoes one of which has yet to blow.
wow.gif

Wow!  I hope everyone is ok back there. 4.5 compares to out here, we just know what they are as soon as they hit.  If you ever get a big one be ready to find a doorway to stand in, or get on the floor next to the bed, and stay away from the windows.
I live about five miles (if that) from a rock quarry and every couple of days I can feel it when they blast. At first that is what I thought it was until I saw that it was 5am and it kept shaking. Then I thought something big blew up but it kept shaking. Lastly I thought Earthquake but we don't get those down here. So I turned on the morning news and that is all they were talking about. People from all over the state calling in all freaked out saying how shook up they were. Kinda funny but I could have been bad like you said. People don't expect it and don't know what to do. My neighbor woke up and grabbed his gun thinking that someone was breaking into his house. As for me I felt like Kent. I was surfing the waves on the waterbed.
laugh.gif

Jwcfbd, my brother-in-law got woke up by the quake and he lives 45 minutes south of me.  I slept through the whole thing, but I sleep like a rock anyway.  House could come down around me before I'd wake up.  
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

It woke my wife up. She thought there was a storm of something. She tried to wake me up, but I was having sweet busaland dreams.

She was a little freaked out, but I told her no big deal (I'm originally from California).

Recent Earthquakes in Central US
== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==
U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center

Version #6: This report supersedes any earlier reports of this event.
This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

A micro earthquake occurred at 4:45:41 AM (CDT) on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 .
The magnitude 2.4 event occurred 6 km (4 miles) SSE of 90 Valley Head, AL.
The hypocentral depth is 10 km ( 6 miles).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magnitude 2.4 - (unknown type)
Time Tuesday, April 29, 2003 at 4:45:41 AM (CDT)
Tuesday, April 29, 2003 at 9:45:41 (UTC)
Distance from 90 Valley Head, AL - 6 km (4 miles) SSE (158 degrees)
41 Mentone, AL - 7 km (4 miles) S (179 degrees)
69 Hammondville, AL - 8 km (5 miles) SSE (154 degrees)
59 Chattanooga, TN - 64 km (40 miles) SSW (204 degrees)

Coordinates 34 deg. 31.0 min. N (34.517N), 85 deg. 35.4 min. W ( 85.590W)
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles)
Quality Poor
Location Quality Parameters Nst= 7, Nph= 7, Dmin=83.6 km, Rmss=0.69 sec, Erho=9.8 km, Erzz=0 km, Gp=97.2 degrees
Event ID# usteaq
Additional Information map
found this on the net..

I prefer tornadoes, gimme something I can see!
smile.gif
Sounds like a good topic to discuss...would you rather have earthquakes because you don't know when they're coming and they're over in a couple of seconds...or would you rather hear that freight train sound wondering if the tornado is going to lift your house over the rainbow?

an earthquake hits such a large area at once that you can NOT escape it. unless your helicopter happens to be ready to go. Tornadoes are predictable and small. thank you, I will be here all night. :p

btw, Wednesday night now. Chat?? Gonna hav to give Dustman a little incentive to get that done.
sad.gif

Cache, I hate to disagree with you, but tornadoes are anything but predictable.  Mostly here in the south, you can't even see it until it hits because there's so much rain and hail in front of it.  Then to top it off, they bounce up and down, they might hit every other house in the neighborhood, or they might take them all out, you never know.  Or if you're lucky, they're as bad as that class 4 in Texas a few years ago that sucked the asphalt off the street and was over a mile wide! I'm not saying I'd rather have an earthquake over a tornado, but the worst of both are nightmares either way.

Yeah Cache, Tornados BLOW...I was in Omaha for four years, and they really suck... Imagine this, you curled up dreamin Busa dreams when you hear Air Raid Sirens...Now your awake so at least you know there is nothing you can do, you turn on the TV and they are "Guessing that there is Tornado somewhere in your Neighborhood...You hear it, you can feel the vibes...but you can see nothing except lightning and hail...I will take the Earthquakes...Not nearly as un-nerving, I mean your all good, the ground starts shaking, stuff breaks then your done within just a few minutes. No Night long vigil waiting to find out if you are screwed or not. Tornados are real spooky, especially in Nebraska, when they seemed to allways show up at night...

Back