Clutch stack hieght

JQBusa

Registered
Ok from the factory my bike has 3 of the thicker steels instead of 2 like the manual shows. I purchased a new clutch kit from the dealer and the stack height was not correct with just 2 of the thick steels. So why doesnt the manual call for three thick steels like is really required?

lurk.gif

06. Stack height removed 1.99. Stack height of new clutch 1.92. Mechanic at the dealer seaid it would be fine and I would not notice the difference. But I don't like it. Clutch I pulled out looked good but was slipping at 6500 rpm under full throttle accel. All I probably needed was heavier clutch spring which I installed with new clutch

I dis-assembled very carefully and kept it all together in order for reference. The only difference betwwen the old and new is the 3 steels vs 2 steels.

When I replaced my clutch last spring I used 2 thick steels and the stack height was 1.98. I don't know what else to say, according to the manual the stack height should be between 1.96-2.00 but I hear a lot of guys say 1.98-2.00.

(JQBusa @ Feb. 06 2007,17:46) 06. Stack height removed 1.99. Stack height of new clutch 1.92. Mechanic at the dealer seaid it would be fine and I would not notice the difference. But I don't like it. Clutch I pulled out looked good but was slipping at 6500 rpm under full throttle accel. All I probably needed was heavier clutch spring which I installed with new clutch
The new fibers will soak up some oil
rock.gif

True. I only soaked them for 30 minutes before assembly. Measured before soaking so that could be it.

Send a PM to Professor...I remember him posting a lot of info on stack height and clutch mods...also which brands that work best
wink.gif

(JQBusa @ Feb. 06 2007,18:31) Still don't understand the 3 fat ones from the factory.
Check with Professor...he is up with ALL the clutch info
wink.gif

If the stack height of your new clutch was only 1.92 there is no way that you fixed that by adding one steel that is .010 thicker. Is your clutch still apart? Measure each and every fiber and steel and post up what you come up with.

I measured them all together, probably not as exact as it should be, but not 1.98-2.00 for sure. Just going by what I took out.

Back