Clutch plates

OB_c.dolan

Registered
Order as '83 to '85 Kaw GPZ 750, from Barnett. Use 8 thick fiber, instead of the 2 thick / 8 thin, like Suzuki did. You may have to mix and match, or even double up a pair of steel plates to get correct stack height. ( very important ) Kaw steel plates are .015" thicker than Busa plates. Before I got Barnett Fibers, I got complete Kaw set from local boneyard, for $ 20. This was early last year, when nobody had anythng for Busa. My latest "conversion" is using '83 to '85 Honda 650 Highthawk on Kaw ZX-12.

you should be able to get a new barnett from pingle for around 160.00

.are thier outer baket tabs the same thickness as stock?if not stay away from them or you'll be digging into the outer basket fast.oem plates are 99.9% of the time way way better than anything i'seen or used.hell 125 passes last year 200+ pulls on the dyno and 8000 miles in the road and they are like new.

To Motorhead: The OEM GPZ 750, as well as the Barnetts are actually thicker on the tabs, as well as the overall plate thickness. Busa uses 2 thick, and 8 thin fiber plates. My GPZ conversion uses all thick plates, so thicker tabs, as well as thicker plates, for better heat dissapation. The GPZ plates are the same thickness as the thick Busa plates. I have long lost count of how many passes I've had on the Barnett. I did an inspection, after 4 months of running, an found only .030" total wear, on the entire "stack height". I have OEM Busa springs, with the equivalent of 2 spark plugs washers under each spring. ........BTW: I restored height by swapping 2 Busa steels, for 2 GPZ steels. GPZ steels are .015" thicker than Busa steels.

actually the more plates the more heat dissipating suraface area .just thicker plates tend not to warb as easy.suzuki put thicker plates in certain areas because these were the plates that tended to take the most load and thus distort the easiest.so by only having those plates thick they could have the others thin and get more plates into the same given space .the more plates the less heat and load that each given plate has to deal with.thats why you see the clutch packs getting taller with the plates thinner.thats my observation and opinion. although it's nice to know we have someone like you giving us an alternative way of setting up the clutches.

I'm guessng more heat absorbtion, per plate, as well as less likelyhood per individual plate breaking. I think one of the reasons for the large number of plates in Busa, and ZX-12, is to reduce required spring pressure. ( Touring bike mentality ? ) 8 plates has been plenty strong enough, so far, with my busa. If anything, I would go with stiffer springs. For serious power, MTC may already have a Billet Hub / Lockup. I will get set, when available.

I have a beginner question.

Someone mentioned doubling up on the steels.

Am I correct in assuming it is okay to put 2 steels side by side ? As it is now fiber-steel-fiber-steel.

Is there no advers effects from having two steals together and does it matter where in the stack you put it?

Thanks for good information :)

To speed: No harm done in putting 2 steels together. This was done only for spacing purposes, as a last resort. I usually do it just inside the outer fiber plate. I have a collection of different plate thicknesses, to fine adjust stack height. I can do it in .010" to .015" increments. Also, I can use outer fiber plate as a "wear indicator" on overall stack height. Outer plate is in it's own groove, not in line with other plates. You can look in the oil filler hole to see height of outer fiber plate, in the groove it sits in. Other than that, keep track of cable slack, in bikes with cable, instead of hydraulic, such as ZX-12, R-1, ZX-9, etc.

[This message has been edited by c.dolan (edited 07 July 2000).]

Cable slack ... on hydraulic clutch?????

Either you had a Senior moment there or it was veeeeeeery late when you wrote that.

My Bad. I was thinking in terms of ZX-12, and most other bikes that have cable. I should have clarified. The look through the oil filler hole, for in between run inspection on both bikes, does apply to both Busa,and ZX-12. I'll go back to sleep, now. :)

Back