clutch spring question

AZ Glen

Registered
I have used the search function but have not found the answer yet.

I really dislike the knocking sensation when revving the motor up to 3 or 4 k and pulling the clutch in. I was told it was in the clutch basket so we pulled the clutch apart and the springs are loose in side the basket.

In other words the springs slide left and right in the basket. I was told it was probably from abuse and a new set would fix the problem. While I am in there I am going to add a billet clutch basket.

Is that loose spring normal or is that from wear?

Am I missing the big "Clutch thread" somewhere, because I cant believe this isnt discussed more?

Yes, Im a newbie.:bowdown:

unless you're runnin' some serious HP...stick with stock clutches and springs...they work the best :thumbsup:

so do the stock springs supposed to slip back and forth like that? or are they wore out?

Last edited:
its not the springs....

when the outer and inner hub get worn they can rattle.....the fix is entirely now OEM clutch pack(fibers and steels) and new inner and outer clutch hub

its not the springs....

when the outer and inner hub get worn they can rattle.....the fix is entirely now OEM clutch pack(fibers and steels) and new inner and outer clutch hub

Thank you for answering my question, I did see a thread about that in the search function.

Some of the springs in the basket do not expand to a length to fill the space they occupy even in a new basket. I'd have to look at my spare, but the brand new one that I took out of the Suzuki box was the same way.

Some of the springs in the basket do not expand to a length to fill the space they occupy even in a new basket. I'd have to look at my spare, but the brand new one that I took out of the Suzuki box was the same way.

Yes, that is what I have now. I dont see the wear.....its the fact the spring does not spread out enough to fill the pocket they sit in.

I know there is one that does fit the pocket, maybe 2 or three. The springs also have different wire diameters. I believe these two things were done to make the cushion effect progressive.

Back