clutch pushrod not coming out

S2LR

Registered
I have an 08 busa and I took the front sprocket cover off to swap out the sprocket. While I had the cover off, I also decide to try and pull out the clutch pushrod for cleaning and inspection. When I started to pull it out, it slid a ways and then just stopped. I can't pull the pushrod out all the way.

Is there some magical way to pull the pushrod out? I just pull it out on the sprocket side right? Could it be that the end is mushroomed out slightly preventing me from pulling it all the way out? I thought I could just pull the pushrod right out with no problems. Has anyone else had this problem?

Any help would be appreciated...

push rod is in 2 parts with a small ball bearing between the 2

it may just be a vacume lock in the shaft causing the resistance as there is nothing else that could stop it coming out that i know of.

if it were bent the bend would be after it exits the shaft too so that wont stop it either .

also it may have a small ridge in the shaft which is catching on the push rod seal.

if it works ok then leave it be as you may need a new seal if you force it !!

hth

Do you have some performance clutch mods ? If there is stiff springs or lockup the two rods may have been burnt or welded together. Open it from other side and slide both pushrods out and you will see.

Based on your recommendations, I took the clutch side apart and slid the two rods out.

They were indeed welded together! Explains why I couldn't pull out the short piece from the sprocket side. I was able to separate the two and clean them up.

I am running a lockup so that probably explains why they were welded together.

Any suggestions or tips on how to prevent this from happening again? According to my manual, there's no ball bearing between the two rods. Putting a ball bearing in there might not be a bad idea though...

Thanks for your help guys!!!

You should not have to put a ball bearing in between them as the end of both shafts are supposed to be rounded. You must be generating some serious heat to weld them together.

And what kind of bearing would even fit there. When you are using lockup or hard springs there is major pressure between pushrods and oil film breaks. One thing you can do is to learn using clutch less, squeeze it shortly, if possible. I don`t know if there is some modified parts to fix this problem.

I typically use an air shifter at the track so I don't have to use the lever when I shift. There have been times where I've grabbed the clutch on the top at the end of a run. It's darn hard to pull in due to the weights on the lockup wanting to keep pressure on the plates. That's probably how the two rods got welded together

hmm checked the manual and no ball bearing on this so my mistake !!

there used on many bike clutches but not these so as its a race bike it might be worth getting a new one as its obviously got rather hot so weakened.

Back