Clutch Problems

GXR1147

Registered
i was hoping to order up a water/meth kit this week but yesterday this happened. On a 3-4 upshift at like 45 mph all hell broke loose and cringe worthy noises happened. I'm thinking the stud backed out and got wedged between the outer hub and cover. As I went to take stuff apart, none of the spring bolts were tight. 2 years ago when I assembled it all I used lock-tite on them before torquing them. Oh well, guess that didn't work. Got lucky as it could have been a lot worse. Looks like just the outer hub, springs, bolts, studs and cover were the only parts damaged. Gonna drop the oil pan, check the pick up, pull the oil pump check in there and the side galley plug and make sure all that stuff is clean/gets cleaned out.

So now I'm looking at what parts to upgrade and what parts should be OEM etc. I saw a 1 piece inner hub but then read that the factory 2 piece provides more clamping force (w/ heavier springs like I had) and the 1 piece can slip under "low/normal" power levels on a turbo bike. This is a stage 1 RCC kit making 235whp @ 7.5lbs. I need to know what my options are. This is solely a street bike and will never see a track if any kind.

IMG_4949.JPG

IMG_4956.JPG

IMG_4951.JPG

IMG_4962.JPG

IMG_4958.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

OUCH, that looks painful, but you are right could have been way worse. I cant really see from the pics how bad are the threads in your clutch mod?

As far as I know, the factory 2 piece clutch hub only provides extra clamping force because of the stock back-torque limiter and the way it works.

If you've replaced that with a billet clutch mod already, changing to a one piece clutch hub shouldn't be any issue.

I'd change the pick up, you'll never get all the crap off the screen inside.
If you are that far into it may want to consider a windage tray. Brock's makes one and Heads Up Performance has one too, there are others out there too.
After having both, I'd buy the one from Heads Up, the Brock's one I had cracked after a couple years not that it made any difference.

Nasty I use a lockup in my TurboBusa but like you I don't race it,it's a good cheap setup and you use your softer std springs too

IMG_2476.JPG

Back