Working on Buddies Clutch Problem!

Haya01B

Registered
Take a look at the clutch salad I just pulled out of my buddies 04 Busa! Every one of the stems that the spring bolts attach to were loose with not a spec of lock tight. The one that did come loose destroyed the pressure plate and broke the spring which I believe parts off are in the oil pan so that will also have to be removed and cleaned. Metal shavings everywhere!

Any other suggestions on what to check or replace? So far the clutch plates look good inner and outer hub are scuffed but not cracked or broken. The Clutch Cover took a beating but will survive. So far the parts needed will include clutch spring, screw, stem, couple washers, and most important Pressure Plate. I have some spare springs and the other parts are not very expensive with the pressure plate being the most expensive at around $32.00.

photo171.jpg

I would change the oil and filter to get whatever came loose out of the system and then you are probably good to go with what you have listed.
JMO

So what I have listed along with oil change which I will be dropping the oil pan anyway to clean.

Thanks Fellas!

id say you better dismatle a bit farther and check things out....those screws and springs don't just break, unless you have some serious hp....but i have seen then come lose before, but they will bang and clatter on the cover for a very long time before that destruction pictured happens....either way It looks like a 4-800$ fix...hopefully there is no fragments inside the motor anywhere near any other moving parts....good luck:beerchug:

Replace the oil pick up. Break the old one open and see if there are shavings on both sides of the screen, if so you may as well pull the motor. Better to clean it all out and replace than have it spin a bearing.....

He told me he had somebody in Raleigh NC check the clutch for him because he was hearing a rattling noise coming from the clutch which was probably just the back torque limiter or what ever it's called. Dude probably either over tighten the bolts or did not tighten them enough there was no lock tight on the stems so all of them came out with the bolts and washers. His motor is stock so no big horsepower strain there.

I will check that strainer screen though!

Thanks!

I don't use lock tite on the basket screws, hell I'm changing a clutch every month or so. Just keep in mind that it's easy to over tighten those bolts, and the outer basket is cast aluminum, and gives up easily. NEVER use an air wrench to tighten, and I always use my left hand to tighten them, (I'm right-handed)and hold the wrench at the base of the handle.

Back