"clunking" wheelies !

tlronny

Registered
Got a new '03 and everytime that I attempt to clutch it up in second there is an unsettling and loud "clunking" coming from the drivetrain area.
I thought it was the chain being too loose (which it was) but after adjusting it up, it still does it - is this normal or have I got a problem in my gearbox/cushdrive/slipper clutch area ?
This never happened on any of my other bikes ??

a busa does not need to be clutch'd up

just close the throttle around 5k and whack it open and up she comes!!! :eek:

What a load of bollocks !
Theres no way in the real world my bog standard '03 with a 230 lb rider onboard will just rise up on one from chopping the throttle open ?

Trust Me!

Yes it will :D

tlronny - Did you ever get your front disc discoloration figured out? I replied to your post, but never saw a response.

Make sure the tires are warm, and the road is clean. (Very Important)

1st or 2nd gear @ 5K, then close the throttle, and quickly go wide open throttle. It will come up.

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>IMPORTANT !!!</span></span>
Be ready to let off the throttle and cover your rear brake just in case it comes up too fast or too far. Otherwise you could flip over backwards. Try going to wide open throttle at different rates until you can determine what it takes to get the bike up. First gear will come up a lot faster than 2nd, but you're also going at a slower (??) speed initially.

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>BE CAREFULL</span></span>

The disc discolouration disappeared after a short period of time - no idea how but Im a chronic late breaker !

What a load of bollocks !
Theres no way in the real world my bog standard '03 with a 230 lb rider onboard will just rise up on one from chopping the throttle open ?
Maybe you got one of the "Special" NZ edition Busa's bro. My Busa in first @4500-5500 rpms and 2nd from 6500 or so will come right up merely by rolling off and quickly cranking back into it. Everytime, easy... 6'1" 215lbs, 5' above sea Level.
So no bollocks involved cept maybe the Dogs, Give it an honest try bro, shut the throttle off, then snap it back open...she'll come up...

OK I shall try some more - had no trouble doin it on my old VTR tho' - no answers to my clunking ?
"BOLLOCKS" - dangly bits between your legs guys !!

I am 6'5" and 205lbs and it comes up at the same RPM no problem. As a matter of fact you don't even need to whack the throttle, just accelerate WOT and at that RPM the front end will come right up! Scarry!!! :eek:

Appart from cosmetic mods I have an Active TRE, Two-Bro's bolt ons, and a PCIII3R. Keep in mind that your factory timing retarder for 1st-3rd is not active when you are over 40% of throttle. Should still be pretty close to these numbers for front end rise though.

Thats an interesting fact about the "over 40% throttle"
- how do you know this as I would have thought that the retardation of 1st thru 3rd was to control the power output when your hard on it ??

It maybe in the manual, I haven't made it all the way though it yet, but it has been well documented in all the TRE threads by people who know far more about it than me. The retarder in 1st-3rd works when the bike is within the following limits: 1000-4000 RPM and 0-40% throttle and adds approx 5 degrees of timing retard. When you are at WOT there is no factory timing retard. The top speed limiter is based on gear position (6th), speed (186MPH), and cuts the fuel and ignition somewhere around 10,200 RPM.

As for the methodology behind it being inside the perameters listed above, i'm not sure?

Got a new '03 and everytime that I attempt to clutch it up in second there is an unsettling and loud "clunking" coming from the drivetrain area.
I thought it was the chain being too loose (which it was) but after adjusting it up, it still does it - is this normal or have I got a problem in my gearbox/cushdrive/slipper clutch area ?
This never happened on any of my other bikes ??
Okay, I'll give it a shot. We did kinda get off topic, huh?

The clunking is probably from the engagement of second gear. If it has been shift hard a lot, or clutchless shifted into second a lot, then the gear face may be getting worn, or the shifter fork is getting bent. If the fork is bent then it may not be engaging fully at first, and the clucking could be from when it finally slams into the fully engaged position.

If it were the clutch itself, then it would more than likely be making some noise through all of the gears when shifted at the same RPM. This might be hard to test unless you have the Autobahn nearby. You could also do it on a chassis dyno machine.

That's about all I got. It might all be wrong, but it's a start.
:)

I've only done a few hundred miles on it - so I doubt that its a dodgy gearbox - all my shifts have been very nice to it except the attempts at clutching it up from 2nd gear - it feels like a chain/sprocket kind of clunk but the chain is surely tight enough to not make that kind of noise .
I think it might be the 'slipper clutch' engaging somehow slightly ??

tlronny - I could just be a shifter fork out of adjustment from the factory. Shiot like that happens every now and then. This bike is new, right? You've been the only owner?

I've never tried to clutch mine up so I'm not sure if the slipper clutch would do that or not. I thought the slipper clutch was only to minimize rear tire breakaway when decellerating. Others porbably know more about this than I do. I'm just trying to give you some ideas.

Jim

Hayabusa's come stock w/a lock up clutch and I believe what is called a torque back limiter. Originally designed to help w/smoother downshifts due to the compression and displacment size the bike has the only problem is that there is a very harsh engagement under load. Conversions are very inexpensive be sure to check out www.carpenterracing.com they have the mod.

You should be able to point that bike to the sky. You answered your own question when you said your vtr had no problems the busa makes howmuch more power and cant weigh that much more.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1072329677 -->

OK OK - I take it all back !!

With 2000km on the clock and a free flowing exhaust added the 'ol 'Bus is a different bike.
The "clunking " has gone and she comes up off the throttle real easy in 1st and the 2nd gear roll off and nail technique works a treat - It would seem to me that when new she was really 'tight" but with a few miles under its belt it has become way quicker and easier to stand up

COOL !!!!

I apologize to all whom I doubted earlier

hood.JPG

Back