clunk and ticking noise in front of bike any ideas?

spencerrr

Registered
I was backing the bike up ready to take off, and it felt like I ran over a bump, the bike got really tight like i had the brakes on. I took off in 1st a I felt a clunk, I think 2 clunks from the drive line, after that i start hearing a ticking sound from the front of the bike. I have done some searches and it's kinda hard for me to explain exactly how it felt. I was in Delaware at bike night and had to ride all the way back home thinking the front wheel was going to come of at 70 mph scary ride. my searches revealed these possibilities. steering damper should it move up and down, mine is. steering stem assay bearings how do i check this. rotors seem fine, brakes jumping in caliber, I couldn't feel any movement. chain tight spot, how do you check this. problem is I'm not a wrench head at all, but if some could let me know how to check the things listed above i will give it a shot to try to narrow it down. sorry for the long post.

Front wheel bearings locked? Raise front end and slowly rotate front wheel.. Will feel grinding/ resistance

You need to get the front end off the ground. Check brakes, rotors and bearings. Also closely check tire and tire rotation. To check for chain problems you need to get the rear wheel off the ground and spin the wheel. Good luck!

OK will check in the am thanks. the clicking feeling is while the bike is in motion, the clunk felling is also throwing me off. I want to say it feels like it's in the transmission but what the hell do i know. oh thanks for the fast reply

Easy way to check steering head bearings is to hold the front brake, sitting on the bike. Rock the bike forward, trying to push forward rather than compressing the fork, if that makes sense(forks are gonna go down some too, no way to stop that). You can also put in in 1st holding the front brake and ease out of the clutch just enough for it to start to engage. While doing either if the steering head bearings are bad(and they'd have to really bad or the top nut loose for them to make the loud clunk you describe)you'll hear and feel the slack and movement in that area.
I doubt that's your problem, but it is possible, and worth checking. If I had to guess I'de say it sounds like brakes. Bearings don't clunk, and if they do, it's obvious that your wheel's wobbling and about to fall off...you'de know.
As has already been mentioned you need to get the bike on stands, or jacked up to have it off the ground. Goodluck:beerchug:

I had a similar sound couple years ago that sounded like it was coming from the brakes, more so cause it was when I hit the brakes. then I was doin somethin one day and the stem head nut was finger tight:O

Back