Closed loop EFI..?

Jimshog

Donating Member
Registered
Anyone have any experience using a closed loop system on the Gen 1? I'd like to change to a 4 into 1 and am interested in going to a closed loop system. I see that Bazzaz Performance makes a closed loop system but I haven't heard anyone talking about this type of mod. So, anyone out there know much about doing this?
Thanks.
-Jim

Why do you want a closed looped system. That means it will be tuned for wide open all the time. If it is your daily rider i would not suggest it. Its great for race bikes/cars but not for street setups.

Closed loop means that the system uses an 02 sensor in the exhaust pipe to measure the proportion of oxygen in the exhaust gas, and using that sensor dynamically changes the map to the injectors, in essence it 'learns' as it goes and keeps the fuel ratio adjusted as conditions change. Standard EFI maps 'approximate' the best map for a stock motor which is why there are problems when standard engine mods are made, the existing map cannot adjust itself, a closed loop system can adjust itself to a limited degree. Obviously if the mods are sufficient to go beyond the basic closed loop system's limits a new map must be uploaded, but with that said once the new limits are entered the system will continue to learn the motor and adjust itself on the fly. My 07 Harley has a closed loop system which I upgraded to use broad-band 02 sensors, the stock setup has narrow-band 02 sensors which cannot keep up with the motor beyond a set RPM range. Hence my question to the .org, does anyone have some experience using a closed loop system with an 02 sensor in a Gen 1, I'd like to set my Busa up like my Harley, the closed loop system eliminates the 'mapping' hassles without the need for a dyno.
Thanks.
-Jim

I did a search on closed loop EFI for Hayabusa and got results regarding Bazzaz Performance, I don't know much other than what I read online. They have some prices listed but I don't know how much the package is combined with the engine management, 02 sensor and the sensor amplifier module. In addition, they mention that some exhaust manufacturers offer headers with the 02 sensor bung welded in but again my research is infantile which is why I put it out to the .org. I was hoping someone else has some experience to share besides what I've been able to read on the net.

People have problems with wide band 02 sensor reading when far from motor. Also I believe without a mass air meter it'll be hard to run a good street setup without it running rich at low speeds or lean at high speeds. Could be wrong but maybe someone in here could elaborate with actual exp. Mabye talk to someone that tunes like gpw or goldenchild.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back