Junk the Factory EFI, Go with Programmable EFI

OB_gsxr1300

Registered
The most permanet thing is to remove the factory EFI. The trick is to keep all the factory sensors and hardwire an Aftermarket system. After wiring in a MoTeC M4Pro sequential programmable EFI, closed loop wideband Lambda, staged NO2, two step, 3d ignition and fuel maps, data logging the list goes on and on.
The MoTeC is the top of the Line system but there are several other manufactures that will work excellent for the money, ie Haltech, DFI, Fel-Pro, Accel, EFI technologies.
These systems make the "Power Commander look like a joke....

gsxr,what is the price range on these systems,and are they hard(lots of hours)to dial in correctly(good gas mileage when riding normal,etc)?

Those companies have been selling units for high performance cars (especially the import turbo cars) for a while. They work great but
they do take some time and effort to get set up correctly initially. Schedule plenty of dyno time!

The MoTeC is $2400 to $4500, Haltech $1200, Accel $800.
The hardest part is deciding what "options" you need, the MoTeC is setup for a professional race teams, I have one because my bike is a graduation project, and MoTec gives Universities a large discount. If I was to do this again with out a MoTeC I would use a Haltech, www.haltech.com
For somebody just putting a pipe and airbox mod. on your Busa, the PC II is fine. BUT, for Turbo applications or highly modified bikes your allot farther ahead in the end.
EFI programmable systems take all the factory "limiting" away, and YOU decide what the safety limits are.

Now your talking my language... I checked out Haltech. Do you have a url for MoTeC?

Motec is good stuff, but I thought it was more like $4500.00
How does Haltech compare from a functionality standpoint?

Keep in mind these are all designed for cars, so the size of the unit may cause packaging concerns on a bike. I personally think they would only be worth the $$$ in a forced induction application. They can drive an AIC, so additional fuel would be a snap.

All this aftermarket ECU stuff is great if you have the time, but beleive me if you are serious about street application stay with the suzuki ecu and a PC2. I have worked with the UK Suzuki superbike team which is now running full Pectel (rated as one of the best and most expensive in the UK) efi set up and it's taken two years to improve over a set of 42mm MIkuni race carb's. there are lots of transient problems, ie feeding on the throttle mid turn was really difficult to get controllable.

if you are really just drag racers then throw away the injection and use 41FCR's. i did back to back on opened up airbox FI verses 41FCR's on my stock bike with a Yosh pipe and the 41's made 4-5 bhp better peak and better upper mid range. although i have not flow benched for comparison my gut feeling says the 41's flow more or cleaner air. and they are obviously very streetable.

Besides the programming what's involved with fitting a MoTeC? Is it a plug-in or do you have to rewire the bike from scratch?

Do they give you sample programs that will give us a start or are we on our own?

Lyle,
Your not rewiring the bike from scratch. Your replacing the factory harness with a MoTec harness. You do have do cut and crimp the terminal ends, ie throttle position, injectors, watertemp, air temp, etc.
As for programming the fuel maps. You can "pre" calculate your fuel curve from standard info about your Busa. IE For example if you have 25lb/hr injectors and your fuel pressure is 43lbs. Using similiar dyno runs of your Busa you can calculate the amount of fuel at each RPM and load point (throttle position) for the entire curve.
Same for the ignition.
The MoTec has a "self" tuning mode, you instruct the MoTec what A/F ratio you want, using it's wide band O2 sensor, the more you run the engine the finer tuned your car gets....just like your car in the drive way.
On another note, a Busa, or ZX-12 CAN NOT retune itself. The factory computer has no O2 closed loop feed back, the best they can do is compare MAP (manifold air pressure) at certain RPMs.

GSXR1300... Obviously you're a knowledgeable automotive engineer. I'm a programmer. I can make any program work no problemo. But building a new wiring harness sounds like I would do more harm than good. I think you've talked me out of a Halteck or MoTeK ECU.

It would be nice if we could get ahold of the code that Suzi uses. My intent would be to look at it's logic. We could find out about restrictions, how it uses fuel maps, ie full throttle yet half RPM etc. Anybody out there with a junk ECU, perhaps out of a wreck?

motek unit is amongst the best.yosh uses it.i think it's to involved for many.i think self learning(no map)systems are just around the corner.so i'll wait.

Back