Clip-ons? Who Has Done It?

Dennis

Registered
I know there was a thread a year ago but can't find it or anything recent. I want to reduce weight and lower the front for drag racing and am thinking about clip-ons. Not sure what else I need to do the job as the Busa has that two-piece top clamp assembly.

Also thinking about Gixxer forks but don't know what is involved there.

Clip-ons might save a few ounces, but for the money, they aren't worth it. You still need an upper triple clamp.
They are more for custom applications, and changing the bars positions.
As for gsxr forks, same story. I don't know of the weight difference, but it wouldn't be much. Their benefit would be for improved handling, but not for 8-9 seconds in a straight line.

I went through many bar combos on the Busa too, personal comfort is the only gain.

I have Renthal clip ons for my Busa.

Had 2 change the top clamp and a few other little things. Can look thru my performance thread and see if there are some photos of them. Definitely not something you wanna do if long range touring is on your horizon. They lean you forward a lil more and pressure on wrists. More for tucking and twisting the throttle

I have Renthal clip ons for my Busa.

Had 2 change the top clamp and a few other little things. Can look thru my performance thread and see if there are some photos of them. Definitely not something you wanna do if long range touring is on your horizon. They lean you forward a lil more and pressure on wrists. More for tucking and twisting the throttle

Op has drag bikes

I know guys switch to Gixxer front ends in the drag world, presumably for weight. More than comfort, and to degree cost, I care more about the ability to lower the front end and not use one of those crappy top plates that puts the levers into the dash on a hard turn, like when turning around. At this point saving a few pounds is worth quite a bit. Like a hundred bucks a pound would be a great deal.

No offense but why would want clip ons?

As previously stated they will change body position on Busa. Lean over more on bike and create better tuck.

Aftermarket top clamp and clip ons are significantly lighter than stock setup

Also more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.... gives it a more superbike race look

Look @ any drag or LSR Busa and majority will have some type of clip on setup or a GSXR front end with clip ons

As previously stated they will change body position on Busa. Lean over more on bike and create better tuck.

Aftermarket top clamp and clip ons are significantly lighter than stock setup

Also more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.... gives it a more superbike race look

Look @ any drag or LSR Busa and majority will have some type of clip on setup or a GSXR front end with clip ons

lower the seat height as well or just sit on the battery, some guys do it.

Huh? What are you talking about? Went from clip ons to talking about seat heights and sitting on batteries?

Most drag/LSR bikes run tiny lithium batteries and race pans

You can remove the top plate and put clip-on's on
1 lbs wow= ca 246 gram per piece and angle 6degr
Quist-racing-Gilles-Tooling-GP-Light-Clip-Ons-50mm-suzuki.jpg

https://tstindustries.com/Gilles-Tooling-50mm-GP-LIGHT-Clip-Ons-for-Many-Sportbikes.html
Quist-racing-Gilles-Tooling-GP-Light-Clip-Ons-50mm-suzuki.jpg

I just bought some Japanese Sansei pivot clamped (quick release) clip ons , am going to try out a top clamp set up with these . Really can't understand the Busa top clamp and bar plate set up ... I really love a good set of triples , billet , offset adjustable , cut out and machined nicely etc . But even some basic , nicely finished factory items would of been better .

I just bought some Japanese Sansei pivot clamped (quick release) clip ons , am going to try out a top clamp set up with these . Really can't understand the Busa top clamp and bar plate set up ... I really love a good set of triples , billet , offset adjustable , cut out and machined nicely etc . But even some basic , nicely finished factory items would of been better .
Hi all. I have MaIntosh top, Driven clip ons and a DME lower tree had to send out the fock legs to be turned down to fit the lower tree. Also had the frame short necked and raked 5 degs. I also run a 120\60\17 tire with a lowered front Tiger Racing front fender.

Michael, it may have been a post of yours I was remembering. I ended up ordering the HRP Fabrication top tree and clip-ons. I also liked the look of the shifter lever so I got one of those on order too. Hopefully they arrive soon.

I already sit almost on the frame with my custom tail, but the lithium battery is behind the seat area in the tail.

Back