Clearence issues, opinions

FastanStrong

Registered
Installed a Yosh TRS full exhaust. At the point were the exhaust passes on top of the rear lower (wing) fairing, I only have approx. 3/16" clearence. I put a extra piece of insulated heat reflective tape over the stock piece of heat sheild tape to protect the fairing. Anyone has the same problem. Its been raining for some time and did not have a chance to try it out yet. Do yout hink I am ok with this?
IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

I have the same exhaust and it melted a little U in the same place. But my exhaust was actually touching the fairing.

No biggie for me, you can't see it from the outside and its been 4 yrs now.

Lamb has seen this question come up 100 times on this board! Trust Charlesbusa, he knows!!

Well with that said, I should be alright with the insulated reflective tape. Did your pipe burn right through the tape? The stuff I put on it resist 1K degree radiant heat and 500 degree direct contact heat. This should hold up pretty well, think?
rock.gif

From "heatshieldproduct"
This heat shield tape reflects radiant heat away from hoses, lines, and and air intake tubes. It is an excellent way to insulate components without disassembly, or use it as a means to hold other thermal insulation in place. It is also excellent for quick "on the go" solution to heat problems. This is a must have for your tool box! Durable cloth construction makes it longer lasting and more rugged than similar products. This tape withstands 1100°F continuous radiant heat and 500°F of direct contact. Our heast shield tape cuts easily and installation is simple with our high temperature self adhesive backing.

busahaya,
Was it touching like charlesbusa, or was it close like mine??
Can you give a little more detail in the out come. Did it burn you plastic, if so, how bad?

According to charlesbusa, not bad at all.

(FastanStrong @ Sep. 10 2006,19:57) busahaya,
Was it touching like charlesbusa, or was it close like mine??
Can you give a little more detail in the out come. Did it burn you plastic, if so, how bad?

According to charlesbusa, not bad at all.
Mines was actually making contact, it took it awhile before it actually bonded with the pipe... It was not that bad though, let me go out and try and take a pic for ya... give me a sec...

A better choice would be one of those flame resistant pads that you can buy at Menards in the plumbing aisle for about $7.00. It has a foil backing on one side and a thick insulation like material on the other. It's made to protect walls and floor joists when sweating copper piping. You can hit it directly with a flame and the wood behind it won't be affected.
I used it to replace a portion of the worn out factory fairing insulation on my 650T where the turbo glows cherry red and it works perfect. After a hard run you can put your hand on the fairing and not feel a bit of heat.
To secure it I used high temp silicone with a 500º rating.

I"m having issues with my camera being detected by my pc, once I figure out and fix the problem, I'm post up them pics...

Back