Cleaning Oil Off Of The Rims?

bigc70

Registered
Hey gang, Over the last two years I spilled chain oil here and there on the rear wheel of my '08 Blue/Gold 'Busa. What can I get to clean the oil off of the gold rim without damaging the gold paint? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I don't have gold rims but I don't think its any different. I just use one of the purple degreasers and it wipes off pretty easy.

some of that purple degreaser will bleach your wheels or 'milk the clearcoat'
meaning it will turn white.

Those 'purple' cleaners are acidic and very strong.

I would use WD40.
Buy a big can and soak a rag with it and get to wiping.
It will come right off in no time without harm to the wheels.

WD40 will work really well. When I am at home I use S100 cleaner/wax or the WD40. I also keep a rag that is wet with WD40 to wipe the rim or the undertail down when it gets oil from the chain on them.

i use the same stuff that i use to clean my bike. it used to be called honda polish but it is called something else now. I use it with a microfiber towel. after i clean and lube the chain I hit the rim immediatly

It's called Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner and Polish..good stuff. :thumbsup: Sold at most bike places. I keep the small can with me on trips. Works on everything on your bike except the brakes and chain..:laugh:

some of that purple degreaser will bleach your wheels or 'milk the clearcoat'
meaning it will turn white.

Those 'purple' cleaners are acidic and very strong.

I would use WD40.
Buy a big can and soak a rag with it and get to wiping.
It will come right off in no time without harm to the wheels.

I didn't know that. I always used it on my black wheels. Do you think it will do that to my new powder coated wheels? Maybe I should buy bigger cans of WD40.

i use kerosene, it works great, same as what i use to clean chain.

Make sure you rinse it off good with some soap and a garden hose so you wont have slippery tires.:thumbsup:

Simple Green :thumbsup:

yes, simple green works very well too, i have the same 08 black/blue with gold rims and it works well.
When i am cleaning my chain with kerosene i also clean my rims with kerosene. When i am not cleaning my chain, I use Simple green to clean my rims.:beerchug:

I have never used WD-40 for cleaning anything, I have always used it for lubrication, if ya know what I mean, not that kind of lubrication:laugh: but what people have said on the .org about it and stuff, I think it it is worth giving it a try.:beerchug:

Back