Gold Wheels are done....

Nice, nice, nice!
bowdown.gif

(CAT3 @ Jan. 14 2007,23:54) I was going to scuff the boogers out, and lightly dust over the bothced area. Its worked on some rearset and stuff I've done. Might just strip it back down and do something different. I like the Lime over Gold effect. I dunno, tired from this and Roxicet is full force now, so I'll sleep on it
smile.gif

BTW, have you ever used a UV light for curing powder? I've been thinking of getting a couple, but not sure on the practicality of them vs. an oven.
I've heard of the UV bake but not investing money in that when my kitchen oven does the trick.

(heavybusa @ Jan. 14 2007,21:13)
(CAT3 @ Jan. 14 2007,23:54) I was going to scuff the boogers out, and lightly dust over the bothced area. Its worked on some rearset and stuff I've done. Might just strip it back down and do something different. I like the Lime over Gold effect. I dunno, tired from this and Roxicet is full force now, so I'll sleep on it
smile.gif

BTW, have you ever used a UV light for curing powder? I've been thinking of getting a couple, but not sure on the practicality of them vs. an oven.
I've heard of the UV bake but not investing money in that when my kitchen oven does the trick.
Now that I got wheels to fit I feel the same way, but cant quite get swingarms and frames in the oven...maybe a BFH will do the trick
smile.gif

smile.gif

(CAT3 @ Jan. 15 2007,00:20)
(heavybusa @ Jan. 14 2007,21:13)
smile.gif

Now that I got wheels to fit I feel the same way, but cant quite get swingarms and frames in the oven...maybe a BFH will do the trick
smile.gif
My buddy and I never got around to doing it, but we wanted to take two kitchen ovens and weld them together making one big oven to do frames and swing arms
laugh.gif

It could work.

smile.gif

Holy snausages, my buddies and I talked about the same thing...dayum. I'm looking at closed down/bankrupt restaurants for a commecial oven or a pizza oven..nothing like setting the parts on a pizza oven belt with timer set and rolling out the other side cured!

Eastwoods too pricey for me, I use Caswell, http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/index.html

We're looking at picking up an anodized setup, and later a plating kit. I missed out on Caswell's sale by two weeks, they had all powders half-off. Actually, my next purchase I am picking up some glow-in the dark additive. Dan, one of my laborers on my project, has a 06-R6. We shot his passenger rearsets in Gold today and he seen the Glow in the dark stuff, wants to try it out. Will be interesting to say the least.

that conveyor belt would kick arse, but remember it has to hang.

I like the way you think!!
super.gif

Let me know how the glow works.

Caswell has great customer service! Thats where I got Big T's powder from.

Great Job!! painting is not my thing! I do not have the patience for it or the nack. Mechanical stuff yes, painting/sanding No!

Looks great though! looking forward to seeing the final pics!!
beerchug.gif

Looking gooooood!

Cat, couple questions :

1- whats it cost to powder coat wheels at the avg local shop?
2- will mounting tires & weights screw up the finish?

thanx - K

(Kento-Moto @ Jan. 15 2007,10:20) Looking gooooood!  

Cat,  couple questions :

thanx - K
Yea, what he said  
wink.gif

(Kento-Moto @ Jan. 15 2007,10:20) Looking gooooood!

Cat, couple questions :

thanx - K
I have some buddies that own/work at PC Shops. Anywhere from $60-130 I've been quoted. So, it was motivation for me to do it myself. Just from the little odd jobs Ive done for others its paid itself off, just cant get the time back
sad.gif
Of course, knowing how much of a PITA it is to strip these wheels, I'd lean more towards the $130 end. I'll do them for cost of powder if the wheels are stripped though. Next couple weeks I have a set of CBR1000RR wheels from my wingman to do. He already knows the deal, he strips them (of course with help from the rest of the crew) and I'll coat them.
Tire mount shouldn't be an issue. Some shops have disclaimers they ask you to sign for custom chrome/anodized/etc. The local Honda dealer is very good with mount, no scratches reported from many many friends I know. Balance, I ask for the stick-on weights. The clamp weights have been ejected on some high speed runs I was doing, and it hit the guys windscreen behind me, cracking it...and of course putting tire out of balance. So since then I've gone stick on, and no they dont mess up the finish at all.

Update again.....

Last night I shot the Lime over the gold. It looked good in flourescent light, but this morning after sleeping on it and seeing WAY different shades of Lime to green etc, I decided to strip the rotors again. So, just got home a bit ago, taped the rotors off, coated and baked them in Psycho Lime only, so it will match the sprocket and stuff. Still in the oven cooling off now, pics tomorrow afternoon.

I stopped at a couple places in Tucson today looking for wheel bearing seals (dust covers) and no luck. So will wait for the ones I ordered last week to finally arrive so I can get this all assembled. Man, this waiting game sux.

Back