Classic old 2 Strokes at my workshop today!

Kiwi Rider

Registered
There was 3 old classic 2 strokes turned up at work today, here's a few pics for those that like to reminisce about the old days.
First off the starting blocks was a 1973 GT185 in great original 'time warp' condition.
She came in for fork seals and a tune (new plugs, reset the points, check ign. timing, new air filter, clean out the baffles in the exhaust)
Interesting fact: it has electric start, but NO starter motor . . . the stator polarity is switched and it becomes an electric motor to enable a few revolutions of the crankshaft, enough for it to fire and run, cool huh?
IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

Next up is a Mach 3 in mint restored condition, the owner has had it since the 70's and has a few other triple Kaws, also all in mint condition! Came in for a Warrant of Fitness (safety check)
IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2558.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

Then there was an A50 , 1969 and in unrestored original condition, came in for a WoF as well, pretty scruffy condition but you can expect that for a little bike that's used as a daily commuter and is 50 years old!!

IMG_2557.JPG

Not something you'd find around here every day, let alone all 3....
Yeah, bit of a coincidence all 3 vintage Jappers turned up on the same day, but here in NZ we have a lot and I mean a lot of classic old Jap bikes, Kiwi bikers from my era (teenagers in the 70's) are avid collectors of such fine old machines and spend a lot of time and money restoring them.
Check this out . . .
https://motorcyclegallery.co.nz/

Yeah, walking in there is the closest you'll get to The Pearly Gates lol.
Do you have any place similar in Adelaide mate?
The Birdwood Mill Motor Museum , in the hills , a great ride to get there , and cars and bikes of all type are there , even a Bugatti Veyron . I haven't been in there though for decades , but I did ride on the closed off roads when they had the vintage vehicles chugging along on their way up there one year . Me and a mate were riding on the wrong side of the road , overtaking and having fun till we came around a blind bend and nearly smacked a parked cop bike !! We decided to behave ourselves after that !!

Thanks for posting.

The A50 is probably not known here in the States. Where I grew up, we could get a licence at 16 years old, provided capacity does not exceed 50cc. After 18 that restriction was lifted. So, I had an A50 for two years, we use to bore them out, port them and race them every Friday after school.

The 500 tripple was a beast back then, incredible sound.

I couldn't imagine riding two up on that little A50....my brother has a '65 Honda 90 which looks similar and it has rear pegs...it was the bike the Beach Boys sang about

There was 3 old classic 2 strokes turned up at work today, here's a few pics for those that like to reminisce about the old days.
Then there was an A50 , 1969 and in unrestored original condition, came in for a WoF as well, pretty scruffy condition but you can expect that for a little bike that's used as a daily commuter and is 50 years old!!

View attachment 1592338
Don't put 2 stroke oil in that A50-it's a 4 stroke....

Thanks for posting.

The A50 is probably not known here in the States. Where I grew up, we could get a licence at 16 years old, provided capacity does not exceed 50cc. After 18 that restriction was lifted. So, I had an A50 for two years, we use to bore them out, port them and race them every Friday after school.

The 500 tripple was a beast back then, incredible sound.
I got my licence here in NZ in 1973, the day I turned 15, still at high school.
We could ride any capacity bike from day 1, I sat my licence test on my friend's brother's Mach 3 Kaw, we 'borrowed' it while he was at work, test was after school, 4pm at the cop shop from memory!
I was a risk taker then, not so much now!

Back