City of Burbank California Police Now Have Electric Motorcycles

At 70 mph the range is 58 miles.

Using all available 67 hp from the fastest model will give around 15 minutes of battery life.

If it rides around the city at posted limits they say range is 151 miles.

Will be interesting to see how this works out for them. :whistle:

Funny that is very close to how fast a Busa will empty its fuel tank at WOT.

All numbers are rounded for easy figuring...

Gasoline is 6 pounds per gallon. A gasoline engine will burn approximately .5 lbs per engine horse power per hour.
So the 5.5 gallon Busa tank contains 33 pounds of fuel and a good running GEN2 should be very close to 200 engine horsepower.
At WOT said Busa would burn 100 lbs fuel per hour completely emptying the tank in .33 of an hour or approximately 20 minutes and return approximately 11 MPG.

^^sorry I'm a little bored tonight. :laugh:

Gasoline is 6 pounds per gallon. A gasoline engine will burn approximately .5 lbs per engine horse power per hour.
So the 5.5 gallon Busa tank contains 33 pounds of fuel and a good running GEN2 should be very close to 200 engine horsepower.
At WOT said Busa would burn 100 lbs fuel per hour completely emptying the tank in .33 of an hour or approximately 20 minutes and return approximately 11 MPG.

OK - but I haven't found a place on the streets where someone could run WOT for 20 minutes. :laugh:

Not to mention that the top speed of the Zero is 95 and the top speed of a Busa is ........:whistle:

I like your figures ! So, how many miles is that? 63 ? 11 mpg... hmmm... at 190+ mph average thats a pretty good deal in my opinion... a mile every 17 or 18 seconds at a cost of about 28 cents a mile... or... about 2.* cents a second for gas ! :laugh: Numbers are fun !

What you are missing is the time it takes to fill a tank, compared to the time it takes to recharge a battery.

Not bad. :laugh:

I also got bored, decided to check your numbers, doing a bit more accurate math though, without rounding. :laugh:

If we assume 100% volumetric efficiency on the Gen2 Hayabusa (possible with velocity stacks, ram air and valve lag and lead) and we assume gearing with no restriction giving 190 mph at 10,500 RPM, 14.6/1 air fuel ratio at full throttle it comes to:

27.09 minutes on a full tank.
85.79 miles
15.60 miles to the US gallon. (Still better than my truck)

That will be more than twice as far as the LEO on his electrical machine and with a fast gas up at the station, I will be long gone, while he is eating his doughnut at the charging station. :laugh:

This is all in theory of course, being a mute point, as there is nowhere a street where you can do 27.09 minutes at full throttle on a Hayabusa.

What you are missing is the time it takes to fill a tank, compared to the time it takes to recharge a battery.

^^^^^ You hit the nail on the head right there. Even if everything else was equal, battery charge time will continue to be the reason any electric bike (or car for that matter) is an "in town" vehicle. Unless you plan to go somewhere and stay overnight while the battery charges, and even then you'd need a place to plug in and you'd have to tote your charger along with you. I know, I know, Tesla has super-chargers but those are few and far between and Tesla specific. Tesla also planned places where you could swap a depleted battery for a fully charged one in 15 minutes for $50 or so but I haven't heard of that materializing either.

There are some really cool electric bikes out there, but until cost comes down and battery life goes up I can't see giving up my Busa for one, or even adding one as an addition to my Busa.

This is all in theory of course, being a mute point, as there is nowhere a street where you can do 27.09 minutes at full throttle on a Hayabusa.

That depends on how brave or foolish you are. The world record for 90 miles in Nevada is an average speed to 217 mph. This event happens twice a year at the

Silver State Classic in September and Nevada Open Road Challenge in May each year. To bad it isn't open to motorcycles. If it were, I doubt the unlimited class would be offered.

Link no longer works

Not bad. :laugh:

I also got bored, decided to check your numbers, doing a bit more accurate math though, without rounding. :laugh:

If we assume 100% volumetric efficiency on the Gen2 Hayabusa (possible with velocity stacks, ram air and valve lag and lead) and we assume gearing with no restriction giving 190 mph at 10,500 RPM, 14.6/1 air fuel ratio at full throttle it comes to:

27.09 minutes on a full tank.
85.79 miles
15.60 miles to the US gallon. (Still better than my truck)

That will be more than twice as far as the LEO on his electrical machine and with a fast gas up at the station, I will be long gone, while he is eating his doughnut at the charging station. :laugh:

In theory your numbers are correct, however 14.6-1 A/F will make a mobile piston smelter if run that way very long, also the max volumetric efficiency occurs at max torque, it would be difficult to move the torque peak over 10,000 RPM. Brake specific fuel consumption will basically mirror the torque curve with the engine loosing efficiency on either side of the torque peak.

Either way the rider crazy enough to do this is going far down the road really really fast!

Im a Motor Officer and Motor Instructor and I just cannot see these bikes being worth it. Aside from the zero crap the cost alone i bet is huge. Many departments are struggling to even keep a motor unit in place. Us included. We have the electra glides and while I am not really a fan, it does the job. I think Id much rather have the Honda or the bmw. Never ridden either but I would like a shot at it. As to the gear issue it simply is not possible to wear full protective gear and do patrol duties. Its not the same as going out for a ride fellas. Whole different world. Helmet, eye protection and gloves is about it along with the standard motor uniform. It is what it is I guess. There is only so much you can do and still be able to perform the duties so its sort of a trade off. I will say that as far as that zero bike is concerned. I would be very worried about visibility. There does not seem to be nearly enough emergency equipment on it.. light wise I mean.. And believe me. Lights are a motor officers best friend. and this doesnt seem to get the job done very well.

I am a Motor Officer
and Motor Instructor
and I just cannot see
these bikes being worth it .

Aside from the zero crap the cost alone i bet is huge .

Many departments are struggling
to even keep a motor unit in place .

Us included .

We have the electra glides
and while I am not really a fan ,
it does the job .

I think I would much rather
have the Honda or the BMW .

Never ridden either
but I would like

a shot at it .

As to the gear issue it simply is not possible
to wear full protective gear and do patrol duties .

It is not the same as going out for a ride fellas .

Whole different world .

Helmet ,
eye protection
and gloves is about it
along with the standard motor uniform .

It is what it is I guess .

There is only so much you can do
and still be able to perform the duties

so it is sort of a trade off .

I will say that as far as that zero bike is concerned .

I would be very worried about visibility .

There does not seem to be nearly
enough emergency equipment on it . . .

Light wise I mean . . .

And believe me .

Lights are a motor officers best friend .

And this does not seem to
get the job done very well .

Electric Motorcycles..... | General Bike Related Topics

Last edited:
Im a Motor Officer and Motor Instructor and I just cannot see these bikes being worth it. Aside from the zero crap the cost alone i bet is huge. Many departments are struggling to even keep a motor unit in place. Us included. We have the electra glides and while I am not really a fan, it does the job. I think Id much rather have the Honda or the bmw. Never ridden either but I would like a shot at it. As to the gear issue it simply is not possible to wear full protective gear and do patrol duties. Its not the same as going out for a ride fellas. Whole different world. Helmet, eye protection and gloves is about it along with the standard motor uniform. It is what it is I guess. There is only so much you can do and still be able to perform the duties so its sort of a trade off. I will say that as far as that zero bike is concerned. I would be very worried about visibility. There does not seem to be nearly enough emergency equipment on it.. light wise I mean.. And believe me. Lights are a motor officers best friend. and this doesnt seem to get the job done very well.

I know Red dug this up, but I don't understand the gear thing, other than cost(even though I'm sure whoever is supplying the cops bomber jackets and slacks is charging the dept a 4000% mark up anyway).
Why pants, boots, and jackets aren't quality protection, like full leathers.
I have seen the Va state troopers on their Harleys(always 2 together), with temps in the teens, wearing a standard uniform, with dress boots, bomber jacket, gloves, Open Face helmet with sunglasses, and bare face and neck...wtf??
I don't care what thermals you have underneath, that's frostbite.
As much as cops push safety, I'de think they'de be in full bike gear with modular helmets.

I know
Red dug
this up ,
but I do not
understand
the gear thing ,

other than cost
( even though I am sure whoever is supplying the cops bomber jackets and slacks is charging the dept a 4000% mark up anyway ) .

Why pants ,
boots ,
and jackets

are not quality
protection ,
like full leathers .

I have seen the
Virginia state
troopers on
their Harleys
( always 2 together ) ,

with temps in the teens ,