Harley Factory Tour - kansas City

Hayabusa2005

Registered
I took the Harley Davidson Factory tour in Kansas City yesterday morning. An amazing place. The plant is over 6 football fields large with 1000 employees. they build the Sportster, V-Rod, and Fat Bob there. They also build special vehicles like the limited edition screaming eagle versions. The SVO build consists of 8 bike builders building them by hand on a cart. They are expected to build 1 to 1.5 bikes on their shift. These are the $25,000 all chromed out bikes.

Quality control is big here...they will pull 5 bikes a day from the line and test each one 8 hours long. If any imperfections are found, the bike is placed in the employee lunchroom where they have to view it while having lunch.

The normal production line is mostly robotic with workers assembling the bikes on an assembly line. They build the frames, engines, gas tanks, handlebars, lace the wheels, paint, and build the bikes there. Electrical and engine parts come from vendors. Incredible to watch. The factory tour is Monday through Friday and last one hour in length. Best part... It is free.

They also have these tours at the HD factory in Wisconsin. I would certainly recommend to anyone who loves motorcycles. They also have a nice gift shop where you can sit on the bikes and purchase items.

The HD plant is near the Kansas City Airport.

A few pics from yesterdays HD Factory tour...

Attachments

• HD Tour 1.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 402
  • HD Tour 3.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 565
The first pic above is of the newly designed 2009 Harley V-Rod. The gas tank is under the seat. The airbox is under the "dummy" gas tank.

Yes, I have a couple of friends that work there. Never been on the tour, would love to see it, have to put on my to do list.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
This place is less than 6 miles from my front door...I have several friends who work there, my friend Ronnie is the SVO designer at this facility, that little secure cage in the middle of the area is his work space...

Really cool plant to visit...My V-ROD was built right here in Kansas City...I have been on this tour a few times when they hold their annual Model Year Test Ride Events...I believe the tours are always available on Saturday Mornings but Im not 100% sure...

If your in the KC area...check with Worth Harley Davidson they usually have the tour hours posted...

The first pic above is of the newly designed 2009 Harley V-Rod. The gas tank is under the seat. The airbox is under the "dummy" gas tank.

Not to jack your thread but the Gas Tank being under the seat is not part of the 09 redesign...

My 2003 100th year Anniversary Edition has the same thing...Thats been one of the key design elements of the V-Rod to keep the center of gravity lower on the bike for their NHRA Drag model...

Great Bikes the Vrods...Im glad to see they went from the 180 stock wheel to the 240 stock rear wheel though...the 180 always felt to little on my 03...

Also glad they beefed up the 3.5 gallon tank to a 5.1 gallon...Gets you a lot more miles before refilling....

I have a friend that works there also, but never made it to do the tour. Wanted to, but couldn't squeeze it in.

Been planning on going back to K.C for awhile, since I was born there, am a devout Chiefs fan (maybe this year??) and have lots of family there. A tour of the Harley plant would be just one more reason (I have an '03 Road King) to make the journey. Only problem is the humidity, so it's either Spring or Fall for me. Maybe see you there and we can swap Hayabusa stories. I sure love mine.........:goodidea:

Go Chiefs.jpg

Hayabusa 023.jpg

Not to jack your thread but the Gas Tank being under the seat is not part of the 09 redesign...

My 2003 100th year Anniversary Edition has the same thing...Thats been one of the key design elements of the V-Rod to keep the center of gravity lower on the bike for their NHRA Drag model...

Great Bikes the Vrods...Im glad to see they went from the 180 stock wheel to the 240 stock rear wheel though...the 180 always felt to little on my 03...

Also glad they beefed up the 3.5 gallon tank to a 5.1 gallon...Gets you a lot more miles before refilling....

Yes, all the V-Rods from when they started making them have the gas tank under the seat. It is because they went from a 45 degree to a 60 degree engine (necessary because of the coolant system...all other harleys are air cooled) and they wanted to keep the profile down. I had simply quoted that the gas is under seat in VROD....but didnt mean it was new for 2009.

Yes, all the V-Rods from when they started making them have the gas tank under the seat. It is because they went from a 45 degree to a 60 degree engine (necessary because of the coolant system...all other harleys are air cooled) and they wanted to keep the profile down. I had simply quoted that the gas is under seat in VROD....but didnt mean it was new for 2009.

Still a bad ass bike...only pain in the ass is you have to get off the bike to fill er up at the Gas Station...LOL...

Been planning on going back to K.C for awhile, since I was born there, am a devout Chiefs fan (maybe this year??) and have lots of family there. A tour of the Harley plant would be just one more reason (I have an '03 Road King) to make the journey. Only problem is the humidity, so it's either Spring or Fall for me. Maybe see you there and we can swap Hayabusa stories. I sure love mine.........:goodidea:
If you make it to one of the games, enter at Gate G, I work security at that gate.

I like Harleys, I can our run them on my Ninja 250:)

I really get a kick out of reminding my buddy Don that his $20K bike can't keep up with my $3K one. He keeps telling some story about young vs old bulls. I think he his trying to convince himself that slower is classier:laugh:

p1050409.jpg

Back