Chefs out there, I have a cooking question??

Mrs.Rubber2Burn

The Diet Coke of Evil!!!
Donating Member
Registered
I know we have some really good cooks out there, and I have a cooking question that Google hasn't been able to provide an answer.

I have a recipe for for a salad that calls for the tomatoes to be "seeded and chopped". Anyone out there know how to sucessfully accomplish this? I found a video via Google that shows a woman submersing the tomatoes in boiling water first. I am not sure I should do this for tomatoes that I am going to put in a salad. ???

Any words of wisdom? I appreciate it.

You are only dropping it in the boiling water for 5-10 seconds to loosen the skin so it peels off easier.

You are only dropping it in the boiling water for 5-10 seconds to loosen the skin so it peels off easier.

We used to get the skin off tomatoes and eggplants in our restaurant by rolling them over an open fire grill for just a minute or two and then putting them in ice cold water. The skin would lift off then a bit easier.
We were making middle eastern dishes (baba ghannouj) that then required them to be cooked or baked into things so I am not too sure this will help ?

I don't understand why she would drop them in boiling water to seed them??? That is for skining. I just cut the tomatoe in quarters and spoon out the seeds. Good luck!

By the way, whatcha makin?

I don't understand why she would drop them in boiling water to seed them??? That is for skining. I just cut the tomatoe in quarters and spoon out the seeds. Good luck!

By the way, whatcha makin?

She asked about the tomatoes being "seeded and chopped". You want to remove the skin for chopping.

Core your tomato and cut in half through the "equator" not from the north pole to south pole. You can then reach into the tomato's cavities and quickly remove the seeds.

if you are doing a huge quantity of tomatoes, a parisian scoop* speeds up the coring procedure greatly.

It's probably not necessary to skin the tomatoes (by dunking them in hot water for 5 sec to a min depending upon the ripeness of the tomato and the temperature of the tomato and then shocking them in ice water) just for a salad. That technique is generally reserved for sauce making where you wish to remove the seeds and skin leaving only the meat of the tomato. Roma tomatoes are generally used for sauce making as the generic supermarket tomato is too watery.

Here's a pic of a roma tomato that I skinned and then seeded in the manner described above.

2593015930102950911S600x600Q85.jpg

cheers
ken

*melon baller.... :laugh:

Last edited:
yes i agree with KML.... personaly in a salad..nothing wrong with the skin...so just remove the juice and seeds...then chop the pulp

Thanks so much guys!!

I have a recipe for a Greek Salad that uses asparagus & tomatoes rather than any lettuce. I love regular Greek Salads & asparagus, so this recipe looks good. I am going to attempt it tomorrow. If I don't kill the tomatoes, I will take some pics. :)

I LOVE fresh salsa, pico, and guacamole but always have problems chopping the tomatoes correctly. :laugh:

Thanks so much guys!!

I have a recipe for a Greek Salad that uses asparagus & tomatoes rather than any lettuce. I love regular Greek Salads & asparagus, so this recipe looks good. I am going to attempt it tomorrow. If I don't kill the tomatoes, I will take some pics. :)

I LOVE fresh salsa, pico, and guacamole but always have problems chopping the tomatoes correctly. :laugh:

LETTUCE in a Greek salad? never.....

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Greek salad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although it does say the tomatoes are peeled. ???

cheers
ken

Back