CHEC light, oil light on, not throwing codes, high temp

GaronjaM53

Registered
Hello, I have a problem with Gen 1, 2005 Hayabusa. The bike was running absolutely fine during last riding season. Now the winter has passed and finally I got some good weather. I turn the key lights come on, but no fuel priming. The dash shows what says in title. It doesn't let me crank it or anything. Checked every fuse on the bike and they are were fine, checked the battery and charged it overnight and still no cigar. Yesterday I spent my whole day troubleshooting everything I could before I went to work. Checked the kickstand sensor, made sure it was in neutral as well. From memory it acts the same like when the Killswitch is on, except it ain't. How to check if that's faulty? I tested relays near the fuse boxes and all are good. I checked other posts about the problem but none lead to my problem..I am new to this forum! Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Welcome....

I've spent some time in your country during the '90s....

It almost sounds like your clutch switch has crapped the bed....
Any way to check that? It would be weird that it just died out like that. I still wouldn't think that is the issue because fuel pump isn't priming or anything. It acts like the Killswitch is on

Any way to check that? It would be weird that it just died out like that. I still wouldn't think that is the issue because fuel pump isn't priming or anything. It acts like the Killswitch is on
This is exactly what the clutch switch acts like when it craps out...weirder things have happened...

You could take it apart and give it a cleaning...you would only be out a bit of time....

One of the more knowledgeable will have to chime in as to how to test it...

@smithabusa
@Kiwi Rider
@c10

I can only speak of the Gen 2's clutch switch but have had this same condition occur after a dust storm. I've physically pulled and cleaned the switch with luck (and contact cleaner). Less than 30 mins to do this start to finish - although it's not so much a check of the switch's functionality as just a cleaning ... which might be the same thing.
Hope this helps

If gen1 is like the gen2 x the temp gauge will show high until you start it. I’m with @Bumblebee on checking clutch switch. Simply take a multimeter and check continuity between the two wires or “legs” on the switch and pull the lever in. You should get continuity when the clutch lever is touching the grip and nothing when you release it. I had one of those go bad when bike was just sitting for a few weeks. If it fails the test, don’t just replace it with a jumper wire. I’ve read on here a lot of members state the bike won’t perform right. I’m sure doing that would get you out of a bind but not a good idea to make the addition o jumper a permanent “repair” .

I just checked my B King and if the Run switch is Off my bike does the same thing your bike does. Make sure your Run switch is on Run by flicking it back and fouth a few times to clean the contacts if not you might have to open the housing up to see whats going on in there. And online wiring diagram would help identified what wires to check and jump to see if that's the problem too.

Last edited:
Do you know how to use or read a digital volt meter also called a multi meter for other functions it can perform ? If so you need a good VDC reading of 12.6 or higher at battery

Do you know how to use or read a digital volt meter also called a multi meter for other functions it can perform ? If so you need a good VDC reading of 12.6 or higher at battery
I do, I just don't have one currently. It would be a good investment in the long run I presume

Hello, I have a problem with Gen 1, 2005 Hayabusa. The bike was running absolutely fine during last riding season. Now the winter has passed and finally I got some good weather. I turn the key lights come on, but no fuel priming. The dash shows what says in title. It doesn't let me crank it or anything. Checked every fuse on the bike and they are were fine, checked the battery and charged it overnight and still no cigar. Yesterday I spent my whole day troubleshooting everything I could before I went to work. Checked the kickstand sensor, made sure it was in neutral as well. From memory it acts the same like when the Killswitch is on, except it ain't. How to check if that's faulty? I tested relays near the fuse boxes and all are good. I checked other posts about the problem but none lead to my problem..I am new to this forum! Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Ecu isnt communcating with dash, my guess is red kill switch is either in off position, or the wiring for it is messed up and doing the same.

Gauges read chec and high coolant when ecu isnt streaming data over dash data wire to gauges

If bike wont crank the red kill switch is part of that safety and also kills power to ecu.

Ecu isnt communcating with dash, my guess is red kill switch is either in off position, or the wiring for it is messed up and doing the same.

Gauges read chec and high coolant when ecu isnt streaming data over dash data wire to gauges

If bike wont crank the red kill switch is part of that safety and also kills power to ecu.
Okay. So I checked the red switch, connections good and I lubed it up and all. I asked my friends opinion and he guessed that the relay where the fuse box is under the left side of the handlebars, the big relay is probably bad. I will go there and he has a spare one to just test it out if it works. If not. We'll continue searching.

Okay. So I checked the red switch, connections good and I lubed it up and all. I asked my friends opinion and he guessed that the relay where the fuse box is under the left side of the handlebars, the big relay is probably bad. I will go there and he has a spare one to just test it out if it works. If not. We'll continue searching.
Oh, it still is the same even with inspecting the red switch, he says he can also give me spare unit so I can test it out as well

Update. Swapped the relay, lubed everything up in the fuse boxes and checked the wires that go to the battery, if they are maybe broken or something. Still no cigar, swapped the red switch as well multiple times. Again shows everything as it was. Then next what we did was we removed the ECU and turned the key. It stood exactly the same as it was before. Put it back in. Still the same. My friend says he's worried about the temperature gauge going hot.

Do you have a manual?

There is a section in the manual that talks about "CHEC" and what causes it to be displayed....

It says to check the wiring harness between ECM and speedometer couplings...

Removing the ECM would not resolve the issue as the "CHEC" display indicates there is no communication with the ECM....

There are a few things that interrupt that communication...side stand switch, tip over switch, on/off switch, blown ignition fuse

Back