Cheap K&N Air Filter

eynlai

Registered
Just thought I share with you all:

Finally decided to change my air filter and sparkplugs on my own now that my '03 is approaching 30,000 miles. No, I wasn't neglecting her. I bought the 2 year prepaid maintanence plan back when I bought her brand new, so that dealer was doing it.

But it expired last year and now I'm on my own.

I spent 2 days shopping online for sparkplugs and air filter. Found a plan in Garden Grove CA that sells a set of 4 NGK CR9E for $14.99 + tax. Beats out a LOT of places that wants about $28 for the same set. But they didn't carry the K&N air filter (SU-1399).

So that was separate search. Most places wanted $70 or above, and it's a special order. In fact, CycleGear wanted $80 and it's a special order (they carried the NGK sparkplugs, but were $5.99 ea)!

I couldn't believe where I found the K&N for a $55.97! Pepboys! They don't carry it, and it's a 5 day wait, but you can order it online, shipping is free and no tax!

Thought I share the great find with you all. By the way, when you get to www.pepboys.com, it' "Shop Online" at the upper right. Then you have to do a search for the model number SU1399.

Well, crap...I just plunked down a bunch of money for a BMG filter....
banghead.gif

Guys, stock air filter is probably a lot better than many aftermarket filters out there. I had BMC on almost every bike I had and it made minor gains on the dyno ( I mean real minor) and KNN made no difference at all so I think KNN is waste of money. If you are going high mods with aftermarket fuel control system etc.. then get a bmc, for anything else nothing beats stok IMO.

Get your plugs at Napa or Checker auto or . . . . Any automotive parts store. You'll save a fortune.

--Wag--

Someday I hope to get the nerve to work on mine. I need to take a link from the chain, change the oil and maybe filter I am not sure. It will probably run me $200 at the shop. I just need to get up the nerve I am sure I would save a fortune.

Guys, stock air filter is probably a lot better than many aftermarket filters out there. I had BMC on almost every bike I had and it made minor gains on the dyno ( I mean real minor) and KNN made no difference at all so I think KNN is waste of money. If you are going high mods with aftermarket fuel control system etc.. then get a bmc, for anything else nothing beats stok IMO.
Ok I've not done all my homework on K&N filters for my Busa, but I know in my truck I simply clean my K&N filter then put it back in, no replacing the air filter when it's dirty and for all practical purposes will probably last as long as my truck. I'm assuming the K&N filters for the Busa are the same, clean and put right back in. I know my service manual calls for replacing the factory filter.

So with that said, even if it doesn't up the performance as you state, you should still save some bank over the life of the filter by simply cleaning it and putting it back in.

Thanks for the info on the K&N filter.
thumb_up.gif

I got one on my other bike, and really like it.
Nice to not ever have to buy one again, just clean them.

Get your plugs at Napa or Checker auto or . . . .  Any automotive parts store.  You'll save a fortune.

--Wag--
wish I could.  I've asked 2 different Pepboys locations and a Autozone.  No dice.  But $14.99 for 4 isn't bad.
I usually order about 10 at a time on line. Other supplies along with that and I usually save way more than the freight costs.

--Wag--

Back