Chains Stretch?

mymaster

Dr. Frankenstein
Donating Member
Registered
OK, I had this heated debate with a riding buddy of mine about chains needing adjusting.

He says - they stretch.

I said no, the chain and sprockets contact surfaces wear down - causing the looseness.

anyone?

Pic is to illustrate a point.

5_6_19_012.jpg

argue.gif

CHAINS STRETCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unless you have an EKZZZ no adjustment needed for 6ooo miles so far.
the stock chain was adjusted every 2 weeks.because it stretched

that sprocket above is toast

(proud dad @ Sep. 17 2007,01:49)
argue.gif

That means those little dog-bone links making up the chain are physically lengthening, I don't believe that.
argue.gif

argue.gif

(mymaster @ Sep. 17 2007,03:59)
(proud dad @ Sep. 17 2007,01:49)
argue.gif

That means those little dog-bone links making up the chain are physically lengthening, I don't believe that.
argue.gif
you are correct that the "little dog-bone links" do not stretch...what happens is that the pins holding the front and back plates together wear as they are used...this allows the chain to "become" longer or "stretch"

i don't remember the figures at the moment but you measure from center of pin to center of pin for a certain number of links...when it reaches a certain length, the chain needs to be replaced...hopefully, someone will come along with the specs on this
beerchug.gif

argue.gif

You're wrong !
all_coholic.gif
They do stretch. and if that is your picture you need new chain and sprockets. Get a good EK or D.I.D. chain . They are the best .

They do stretch, but at least they don't get "stretch marks"  
wow.gif
OOOOOHHHHH

EK ZZZ here, have not had to adjust it yet 5K miles.

(semi @ Sep. 17 2007,05:05) i don't remember the figures at the moment but you measure from center of pin to center of pin for a certain number of links...when it reaches a certain length, the chain needs to be replaced...hopefully, someone will come along with the specs on this
beerchug.gif
OK, if you insist
tounge.gif

chain.JPG

That chain is stretched…... So much so that is has worn the sprockets excessively. Everything needs to be replaced. How many miles are on that chain?

The picture shows that that chain did stretch , deforming the sprockets-- The reason is because the grease that WAS sealed inside the chain is long gone ... many miles before this pic was taken the owner would have seen [ red oxides ] or rust leaking out past the o-rings of the chain....
This is the begining of the end ---- If one were to replace the chain at first sight of [rust].. your sprockets can almost last forever.... 40,000 miles and four chains on my 85 900 Ninja.....original sprockets.....still looked good....

if you don't believe that the dogbone part of the chain can stretch...kiss your career good bye as a metallurgical engineer. All metals and steal stretch....its a very very small amount but over time they change....heat and cold also have an effect.

AAAssjani.gif
 Topic from HELL!
Sorry, the original pic was just to illustrate, but became the topic, my fault, disregard it - two year old pic of someone I use to work with.
I'm sticking with wear, elastic and rope stretch - chains wear  
argue.gif

As long as it's adjusted,clean and lubed, it's all good.
Heres an article...
http://www.cybersteering.com/cruise/feature/bullet/adj_drivechain.html
and a couple pics for the fun of it because you all like them, now excuse me while I go hide out of harms way.

nice busa chain - ooooooh.

bbb_036.jpg

15 year old Suzuki GN125 chain that sat for 12 years with out moving.
It's still in service today on the original sprockets
SHOCKED.gif

race___repair_014.jpg

A motorcycle chain and sprockets are noting but bearing surfaces. So you are eventually going to get wear there, which will cause the chain to lengthen. As mentioned above all metals will stretch to some extent, depending on the forces acting upon them. So technically it is a combination of both. The EK Tensile Strength of 11500 LBs I have seen published does not state whether it is an ultimate yield strength or if that is to the point of permanent deformation?
wink.gif

(babuski @ Sep. 17 2007,10:01) if you don't believe that the dogbone part of the chain can stretch...kiss your career good bye as a metallurgical engineer.  All metals and steal stretch....its a very very small amount but over time they change....heat and cold also have an effect.
+1

When you torque a fastener you are "stretching" the fastener to create clamping force. If you over-torque, you may pass the point of elasticity and the fastener may never retain it's original characteristics or size. This is why you have different grades of bolts. This is easily applied to the topic here as the amount of torque the Busa creates can "stretch" the chain if it exceeds or repeatedly challenges the load limitations of the chain. Just my .02.

fasteners and chains are two completely different types of applications., one is stationary and one is moving.

(mymaster @ Sep. 17 2007,12:50) fasteners and chains are two completely different types of applications., one is stationary and one is moving.
Not going any deeper then this but IMO the "pulling" force that is applied in relation to chain and sprocket can be qrgued to have similair characteristics of the fastener "pulling" force to clamp. Your still putting torque/load to the metal whether it is moving or not otherwise the bike would not move and the bolt would not clamp. Think of a rock being pulled with a rubber band to simulate the force your engine creates to turn the chain to turn the sprocket to make you move. The point was that all metal can stretch and when pushed to the limitations of it's specifications it can fail and never return to it's original state. Call it stretch if you want to or not.

Good points and nice chatting... I'm late to a give a seminar on Torque at Toyota.

beerchug.gif

Back