Chain stretch/measurement on stock chain

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Whats the length to pin 1 to pin 21 on a stock chain? If the life of the chain is over after 12.57", curious to know what a new chain measures. I could wait until I get my new one, but since it will be a while thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Charlie

Not something I've ever worried about. My last chain actually was still in spec but it was binding up so I pitched it.

--Wag--

Looking in my books and can't find anything that says what the spec is for a new chain.

--Wag--

(BlueHaya @ Jan. 22 2007,17:08)

pg 2-21
Thanks Blue... however, I already stated that above (Whats the length to pin 1 to pin 21 on a stock chain? If the life of the chain is over after 12.57", curious to know what a new chain measures. ). I was wanting to know, more out of curiousity and boredom, what a new chain measures.

(heavybusa @ Jan. 22 2007,18:05) What are you considering a "pin" I'll measure mine fer ya
Heavy, basically measuring just like the manual shows, center of one pin to the center of the 21st pin after (or before). My 17,000+mile chain is at the "service limit" at 12.5x (tape measure is not the tool for accuracy, so I err on the safety side). Thanks.

(CAT3 @ Jan. 22 2007,20:01)
(BlueHaya @ Jan. 22 2007,17:08)

pg 2-21
Thanks Blue... however, I already stated that above (Whats the length to pin 1 to pin 21 on a stock chain?  If the life of the chain is over after 12.57", curious to know what a new chain measures. ).  I was wanting to know, more out of curiousity and boredom, what a new chain measures.
AHHHHH. OH OK.

Never Mind

I dont have any calipers here or I would measure mine. It has less than 1400 miles.
When you get your new one let us know...for future reference.

(BlueHaya @ Jan. 22 2007,18:28) I dont have any calipers here or I would measure mine. It has less than 1400 miles.
When you get your new one let us know...for future reference.
I will, unless of course Heavy beats me to it... he's always helping out in some way, shape or form. Crazy guy never rests, he is wicked.

neither one of you ever posted those numbers.
cool.gif

someone else keeps digging up old posts. I was using the new and improved search (which worked marvelously) and was....a little bored. soooo.

Back