Chain question...

04HappyBus

Registered
OK so I put a new chain on used the included rivet-style master link. I have a Motion Pro chain tool and all the necessary plates/pins for a quality job, done this many times before. Only this time...

I'm all done and setting chain tension when i notice the pin ends on the new master link do not sit flush with the chain plate. If you look at the rear of the new mater link the chain pins seem to have been pressed out a slight amount by the chain tool. You can slip your fingernail under the flared ends of the pins.

Now, this is the BACK SIDE of the master link, not the front side that I used the rivet tool on. What gives? anybody else seen this before? Both chain plates are still tight and the master link moves freely on the chain pins. But it just seems weird to me.

man, I think your fine. you may find it back out against the flare after your first ride. After putting my new DID on, it looked kind of funky to me, I wasn't sure I had mine flared enough so I took it down to the local shop. It checked out fine. As long as it is still loose enough to not create a tight spot I'll bet you will be ok.

I just got an EK 530ZVX and an extra rivet master link. I also have the same motion pro rivet kit I just bought but have never used one before, hope it works well. Anyway, I checked out both master links and out of the pkg they look like they are sticking out just a bit on the back plate. There is also a small lip that you could slide your finger nail under. So I am guessing that you will be fine as this one looks the same out of the pkg as you described.
smile.gif

I checked with a few shop techs I know and they seem to agree that the small gap between the end of the pin and the chain plate shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the replies just the same.

Interesting side notes... the shop techs seemed to be more concerned that the link wasn't pinched too tight, as this kink will result in a hot spot and quickly cause a kink that will junk the chain.

One tech told me he uses clip-style links on his bikes, and once did a 400-mile day ride... only to discover at some point the clip had disappeared. But he wasn't too concerned. He said it is very hard to throw a masterlink or break a modern O-ring chain under normal riding conditions, and if the side plate is pressed on properly it would take a lot to work it loose. I replied a Hayabusa's power output is anything but normal!

But, I see a lot of big-inch Harley bikes around these parts with a chain drive conversions, and those guys use clip-style master links. Some of these motors put out 100+ pounds of torque so I guess clip links can't be that weak... of course they don't rev to 11,000+ rpms, either.

The O-rings are in place... one of the first things I checked. I will take it for a short ride once I get some better weather and see if the side plate/pins look worse for wear. If not I should be good to go.

Back