Chain Lube

G

it depends on who u ask as to which lube is the best!!

blue PJ-1 for me...

It's most likely a worn out subject, but what is good that doesn't make a mess? On my mountain bikes I use a wax, it sheds water and dirt really good and is very slick. Is there a wax for streetbikes?

If you ride everyday "commute" rain or shine, clean chain WD40,then just use 90wt gear oil, have to do it every week and works for me cheap. Did it on my 1989 GSXR 1100 and my 98 TL1000R,no problems. The only small problem was when I first owned my 89 GSXR the manuel said to use Kerosine to clean the chain, don't do that, bad choice, WD-40 is a better Choice. My own opinion.

I use Maxima Chain Wax. I was concerned about the O-ring chain, but have heard that most lubes that specify safe on the o-rings were okay. No fling problem.

Cisco San Jose, what is wrong with Kerosine for cleaning? I use it only because that's what Suzuki recommended. Is it truely bad for the Busa?

[This message has been edited by BUSRYDR (edited 03 August 2000).]

I started using this new stuff made by bel-ray called super clean.
It turns white when it dries but sticks like glue and absolutely will never fling off.
Also unlike chain wax it wont collect dirt and brake dust.
I think I'll stick with it.

I read about a moto police once who would use a paint brush every morning after briefing to clean his chain and the brush motor oil (50 wt, the heavier the better) on it. He got over 20K miles out of that chain as opposed to 12K for all the others in his unit.

He didn't recommend the average person would have to do it every morning but ever 200 miles should be enough.

Personally watch how you master link is assembled as this often becomes the "weak link" on a chain if the o-rings get pinched on assembly.

BusryDr, when I used Kerosine on my 1989 Gsxr chain the O-ring would for some reason get eaten up and the OIL or grease that is so pose be under that O-ring would get cleaned out and that would defeat the purpose of the chain being lubed. I went through two sets of chains before I switched over to WD40 to clean the chain.I also spray the chain with silicon spray,it keeps my chain looking like new.I also use 90wt gear oil for lube on the chain. I just brush it on with a tooth brush and wipe it off with a rag. NEVER RUN YOUR ENGINE and put your BIKE in gear when doing this.Good Luck

How often do you lube your chain 90wt?
How much do you leave on with 90wt?
Everyone says to clean with kerosene, I have always used WD-40 though and never had a problem but a nice clean chain.

lmao ref ur comment bout the moron!!

to clean it, i use 100% mineral spirits!!

RocketMan my chain is cleaned every Thursday afternoon after coming home from the gym.I just break out my Pit Bull rear jack stand and pop her up and spray WD40 on the chain, then I get a chain brush or old tooth brush"hard tooth" and scrub between the teeth and clean the rear sprocket. Remove the rear ducktail"undercarriage" and clean all the junk around the swing arm and front sprocket area and kick stand area and the top/bottom chain block.Then I start the bike and run the bike in first gear and I spray the chain again to get all the loose gunk off the chain, oh ya I use a old box flatten out under the bike to catch the junk and oil that come off,then I turn off the bike and put it back to netural and wipe off the chain and check if it needs more scrubing if not I use a tooth brush and dip it in the 90wt gear oil and rub it all over the full length of the chain. I spin the tire until the chain link "blue" goes around twice when brushing,let it sit for about a minute then I wipe the chain off with a rag. That's it!!!!!

Back