Chain jumped off and now....

Iluvmybussa

Registered
Ok so I was on my way to work the other morning and I was taking off from a stop sign and got on it a little hard and just as the rear tire started to break loose the chain decided to jump off, not break just jump off. I have made sure that the chain stays tight, sprockets are in good shape and now I have to replace the gear shift cover and the sprocket cover. So I have started tearing it down and am at a point that I have one bolt left and wondering if I'm going to have to take the motor mounts on the back of the motor loose and Jack the motor up to get that last one out on the bottom of the gear shift cover. Any help would be great. Also when I went to take the from sprocket off I had heard that a lot of people have trouble getting them off, well I had no trouble like the nut wasn't torqued.... it looks like the chain has been riding on the back side of the sprocket as well which I think may be my problem messing up the alignment up. Thoughts?oh yeah ment to say this is on a Gen 1 2006.
20180428_151325.jpg
20180428_151336.jpg

How many miles on the setup? Stock chain? How many tooth rear sprocket? Do you know that front sprocket is 1 tooth less than stock?

I’ve changed mine lots, stock is 18/43 and I’ve gone 17/45 16/45 16/43 16/52 currently 19/43. Every time I changed the front it gets a little bit of locktite and goes on hella tight, just for good measure. She’s always right when I tear back into it.

I guess I’ve never known of a chain to jump?? But 12 over is a lot of slack.... what are your thoughts of a chain tensioner? Like an additional roller.

Then I’d say there’s def something going on with that alignment. Can you you my 17t from my turboed 08, looks brand new still. You installed the 16 tooth?

Then why do you think it jumped? Misalignment or slack has to be the cause if the sprocket teeth are ok right?
If you look at the 2 pics it is inside and outside of the front sprocket and you can see where the chain was riding against the inside like it was out if alignment. I think it is because the nut wasn't torqued down properly by whomever put it on.

Just worked on a buddies 1k, was gonna go -1 in his. Turns out she’s already -1, and the nut was way loose as well.... alignment looked good though. But def way too loose

Back