chain installation

OB_Greg Gillis

Registered
Chain broke at 3800 miles. Do I need to dimantle left side of bike to install new or do you have any tips? Anyone have any chains for sale? I guess I'm going with the Tsubaki 530 Sigma o-ring or HQR (?) by looking at the posting recommendations.

How did you break your chain at that mileage?

You will need a chain riveting tool to install your new one. Get a riveted, rather than a clip master link.Much safer.

38 degrees F, son taking his girlfrirnd for a ride, 25 miles from dealership who stored it for the winter and serviced bike (so chain may have been overadjusted). Other than that, he said he wasn't abusing it, and I believe him.

remove the rear plastic splash unit from the under side,now either thread a small length of wire from the top or bottom where the chain enters the frame,attached to the wire will be a piece of dental floss about a foot and half long and tied to the other end of the dental floss will be your new chain.When you run the short piece of wire throught you might get oil/grease on it but don't worry,now pull the unit thru.Hopes this helps,check to make sure the chain is installed on correctly.Good Luck.You might have to double up on the Floss to keep the chain aligned and flat so it will contact and correctly sit on the front sprocket.Oh ya make sure you are in neutral gear and the bike is on a rear stand.

[This message has been edited by Cisco San Jose (edited 17 April 2000).]

Greg,
How close is close to F.B.G., for example:
On the same Island (that would be as close as me). If so drop me a line if you need any help I'll walk over. LOL. I've got most of the tools needed (minus the dental floss)

Leftin1@AOL.com

My chain broke on my 2k Busa at only 1400 miles. I was almost stranded. I called the dealer who told me my chain looked overly strechted prior to the breakage and they picked me and the bike up. I had almost no adjustment left. Suzuki's replacing the sprockets,chain and swingarm( was scratched as the chain came off)

I think DID sells one. I have a Motion Pro setup that has both the breaker and riveter in one kit. Not cheap, but worth having around. Chapparal or any of the mail order houses has them. Also, if you break any of the parts, Motion Pro replaces them free no questions asked.

You will also need a caliper to measure the head diameter of the rivet to make sure you socked it down enough. I think the manual has the proper diameter listed, but if not the chain manufacturer should list it on the box.

The RK DR chain is for dragracing it is very high strenght but it is non Oring.
Rk does sell another Oring type chain it is not listed in manuals you have to call them do a serch I posted it somewhere.

Cisco, thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. I live near Fast By Gast so i am going to take Kevin's recommendation and run the EK 530 DR chain. Next I'll have to buy a riveting tool. Any Idea where to get one? Also how many links do I need for stock sprockets and swing arm?

Back