New Tsubaki chain - aargghh Clip link!

jphilipson

Registered
So I got my new chain in today and had it put on. It's a Tsubaki Sigma XRG 530, rated to 200 HP, over 10k tensile strength. Read some good things about Tsubaki chains, so thought I'd give em a try. Anyway, I did not check the box, as any 530 chain I've ever used ships with a rivet link. This one shipped with a clip link. So checked with the part/service manager, and tucker rocky only lists a clip link for the chain.

Anyone familiar with this Tsubaki chain? Is this normal and safe to use a clip on 530 high HP rated xring chain?

Yeah you could use a clip style link. I prefer the rivet style myself. I have run clip style and have installed them too. User preference. This will be a debated topic also.

Yeah you could use a clip style link. I prefer the rivet style myself. I have run clip style and have installed them too. User preference. This will be a debated topic also.

Have you run a clip on a Busa or other high HP bike? My question is safety, not preference - I've always been under the assumption that a rivet link should be used on a high HP bike.

Have you run a clip on a Busa or other high HP bike? My question is safety, not preference - I've always been under the assumption that a rivet link should be used on a high HP bike.

I ran a clip link on my drag bike for three months. It's perfectly fine/safe, just put a dab of silicone on the link when you put it on. That will keep it in place and make it fairly easy to take off. :beerchug:

if you look at it the only difference between a clip and rivet style master is the way that the side plate is held on. Links being the same tensile strength as long as the clip doesn't come off it is just as strong as the rivet style. And by putting a dab of silicone on clip for reassurance and make sure clip is facing correct direction you will be just as safe.

And yes, I have busa's with rivet & clip style chains. Never a problem. :thumbsup:

if you look at it the only difference between a clip and rivet style master is the way that the side plate is held on. Links being the same tensile strength as long as the clip doesn't come off it is just as strong as the rivet style. And by putting a dab of silicone on clip for reassurance and make sure clip is facing correct direction you will be just as safe.

And yes, I have busa's with rivet & clip style chains. Never a problem. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback - I found a place that may have the rivet link and ordered it. If they actually have it, I will swap it out. If not, I'll clean it up and put some silicone on it.

Not the same chain, but I lost a bunch of clips while riding. Swapped to a rivet link style chain, never had an issue.

Never thought of the silicone trick... :thumbsup:

Back