Chain Hitting Tire

super851

Registered
Just put a set of Pirelli Diablo's (love the tire to me better than the Sportech M1) and I noticed that my chain is chewing into the extreme edge of the tire. Got the same size 190, also noticed that it chewed into the Sportech as well. Need help with this and thanks.

weird, I have metzler sportec m1 and there is plenty of room. Is your chain loose?? Just a guess...... is the sproket attached to the wheel correctly.......

Is the tire aligned straight?
rock.gif

Dude check your alignment, sounds like it's pretty outta whack. Then I would make certain your chain is properly aligned. I mean this is pretty obvious stuff but just making certain...

Good advice and I will check all of that, does anyone know of a device that will help you to align your chain correctly?

Make sure your chain is tensioned properly and it is not worn out. Check the sprocket for wear.  A chain sloshing around back there will move around much more than you might think.

Rear wheel alignment - Quick and dirty methods.

1. Crouch behind the bike and see if the rear sprocket is parallel with the plane of the chain;  that is, see if the sprocket is facing left or right to the line of the chain.

2. Check the alignment marks on the swing arm.  You should have the same # of notches on either side.

Official method:

Measure the distance on both sides between the rear axel and the swing arm pivot.  They sould be the same.

Hope it helps!

Eyeball it, you should be able to "see" if your chain and sprocket are aligned. Check chain tension.

You can do this with a piece of string! Take a string about 10' in length and place it along side your rear tire. Moving forward lay it next to the front tire, now head back to your rear tire on the opposite side. make sure the string is laid out straight. The distance from the edge of your back tire should be equal on both sides......
smile.gif

This is one example I found on the web Click Me!

<!--EDIT|ks-waterbug
Reason for Edit: None given...|1088161094 -->

Like OTD I am running a 200 and have room to spare. I would check the alignment like all are suggesting.

Thanks for all of the good advice, spacers are in place and alignment is on. The problem that I notice is that I can grab my sprocket and move it left to right it's not much but it does move. I thought there should only be play front to back as the cush drives wear. Chain and both sprockets has 4k and i don't do wheelies. There is a spacer between the hub and the wheel aprox 2 inches in lenght. This seems to be a bit worn. Any suggestions?

Back