Center Stand or something like it...

Rocketman

Registered
I haven't purchased a rear stand yet for the bike.  I have a nice hydraulic floor jack and some jack stands used for a car.  Anyone ever been able to set the bike up for maintenance using any of these?  
1zhelp.gif

I don't want to damage anything and wondered if anyone has been successful using a floor jack on the bike.  I just hate forking out $130 for a rear stand.  I'd rather buy a used one if I could find one.

I know I know, buy the right tool.  $50, ok.  $100+ for that? No way.

Thoughts, ideas?  
rock.gif

Shawn -

Yes, you can use a hydraulic floor jack if you're careful, but there is real risk of dropping the bike (especially if you use the jack to raise the bike to remove the wheels). My suggestion is to get the Hayabusa center stand. It works wonderfully and is just the ticket for chain maintenance on trips. You will have to jettison the belly cowl, bujt it's no great loss. The stand is about $100 from the dealer.

I dunno man... Seriously, SUCK IT UP... Yeah it's an irritation but it really is the cost of doing business, it will make your life so much easier. Don't skimp.

Now, There are some options. Check on ebay... But really if you try some rigged up gizmo you might end up damaging the bike or yourself... Yeah you can get a centerstand... it only Mostly looks like ass...
smile.gif

OK ok... yer right Rev. I'm not going to cheap on this. *@#$&@#$@!!!

I was hoping I could use what I got or find something used. Nothing sounds good from my research and I really have to have it for maintenance.

Thanks for the input. (Better pic too Rev.)

If money is really the issue there is always the Handy stands for around $100 for both front and rear.

i really dont trust those handy stands got a catalog and they dont look to strudy. Get a real stand or you'll be like my as 8 hrs to swap an exhaust because i was changing it on the kickstand. Stands are a lot more useful than you think

Added the center stand to mine and never looked back. Love it.

--Wag--

Here's the thing, NO you do not have to spend big $$$ on stands, but I have heard and seen the Handy's in action and was not impressed... But there are alternatives to PitBulls. Keep an eye on Ebay...

I mean they call em pit stands, but really they are more working stands for most of use so security and stability is a major concern. Pit Stands also allow you to adjust the chain while supported, and over all provide a much safer more stable means of storage.

Ok Ok Ok....I have to add my jiffy rig here. I AM CHEAP...Sorry, but that is it. I needed something to hold the bike while I lowered and since I didn't have friends, my wife looked at me strange when I asked her, I had to come up with something. This is what I did (and I tell you what, it is very sturdy):

Went to HomeDepot and purchased a piece of steel rod, I believe it is 4 feet long and 1/2 or 3/8 diameter. It fit perfectly in the hole that the swingarm attaches to. I slide it through (put a rubber band on one side so it stopped in the middle of the bike), and place a jack stand on the high (right) side. Then, with a jack, I jack up the other side even, then throw a stand under it. 50 seconds into it, I have the rear suspensed. For the front, if I need to, I place the jack under the belly with a block of wood as a buffer and raise it up. Very sturdy, will probably be Santa this year and bring home a front stand, but I am good in the back.

Jonathan Hays

I bought my stands used at a dealership. They would rotate theirs out every so often and sell them, also, some customers when they would sell their bike the stands would be sold as well at the dealership. At the one I went to, you have to ask because they do not like sitting used stuff out on the floor. One looked brand new and the other was just dirty with minor scratches.

Added the center stand to mine and never looked back.  Love it.  

--Wag--
I agree. The best feature of the center stand is that it travels with the bike, so you always have the option of using it as a more secure perch for your bird than that dodgy sidestand. It was the first accessory I added - after the frame sliders.

I sprung for the $ and got the Pit Bull. It works great. Lifts with NO effort, very sturdy when up. Yes, it's a few $, but how much did your bike cost?

Put off one mod, and buy a tool that will last.

Just my .02

Back