Getting Wheels Off The Ground - Stands, Jacks, Etc...

Skowinski

Registered
Putting new tires on this used 04 Busa I bought. All the stands, rear and front, that I have that have worked on my other street bikes have problems with this thing. Finally managed to get my rear stand on the bike and get the back tire changed. But, my front stands, both the bottom of the fork leg type and the one that lift the entire front end from under the triple clamp, don't fit, interfere with bodywork, etc.

Aside from removing the entire front end of the fairing and the front fender so I can use the front lift stand, is there an easier way? Jacks? Any points on the bottom of the engine that are safe to jack the bike up from?

One pic I see in the manual seems to show the bike on a rear stand being jacked up with a floor jack under the engine. Oil pan? Will it take the weight?

I don't want to screw up! :laugh:

If you have the stock exhaust I believe that is a jacking point, double check tho. A search here should get ya a positive answer.
What brand of stands are the front ones that won't work?
Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

Throw a towel over the front fender, I bet you can work your front stand in there and clear fine.
I have an old Lockhart Phillips that's that has to be persuaded to fit between the nose and fender.

Or you can try a rod or bar through the swingarm pivot and use two floor stands / jacks. I've seen guys through a strap around the frame neck and use a motor jack or come a long mounted to a beam, etc. just be careful whatever you do.

If you have the stock exhaust I believe that is a jacking point, double check tho. A search here should get ya a positive answer.
What brand of stands are the front ones that won't work?
Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll check the service manual and search on here some more.

The front stand that lift from under the steering head is a Kwiklift, and the other one that goes under the fork legs I don't know the brand.

Just didn't look like I could get the Kwiklift under there without removing bodywork....

Thanks, I'll check the service manual and search on here some more.

The front stand that lift from under the steering head is a Kwiklift, and the other one that goes under the fork legs I don't know the brand.

Just didn't look like I could get the Kwiklift under there without removing bodywork....

It'll be close, and you'll have to roll the stand some and open it at the same time, but it should go in there and work fine.

Ahhh, here's the problem. The previous owner lowered the front by installing Soupy's spacers and sliding the forks up in the triple clamps an inch or so. The rear was also lowered with some Pro-Tek links, I've removed those (for sale in the classifieds) and put the stock dog bones back on, and now I want to put the forks back to standard position.

Well, the Kwiklift won't fit under there because the front is lowered! Still need to figure some way to jack it up from underneath. I have it securely strapped to the rear stand. Where's a safe place to jack from, any ideas, don't see it in the service manual I have.... been searching on here but not finding what I'm after... :beerchug:

If you have it safely on rear stand what I have done in the past is use a scissor jack and piece of 2x4 and jack under the header. Bike will pivot on rear stand and lift the front end.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you have it safely on rear stand what I have done in the past is use a scissor jack and piece of 2x4 and jack under the header. Bike will pivot on rear stand and lift the front end.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, thanks, that's two who have suggested this. So, the header (stock one on there) is strong enough? Don't want to crush my headers, man that would piss me off! :whistle: Guess I'm being paranoid...

There is a fuzzy picture in the service manual with this sort of setup being used, but not clear exactly where they have the jack under there....

Never mind guys, sorry, I found it by varying the search parameter several times. There was a thread about jacking it up using the headers... it's apparently ok.

Best of luck. Someday, I want this (one stand to lift both wheels):
- Motorbike Stand Zentral Paddock Stand Motorradständer GSXR CBR YZF R1 R6[/url]

136_0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack and block of 2x4 right on the flat spot on manifold pipes... I had to stabilize it with a couple bricks under kickstand cause I was on a slant a bit. Worked great. Took two tries to find sweet spot to lift from. Get a helper and do it like this . It works :thumbsup:

Rockethed using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303888644.087900.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303888801.678378.jpg

- Motorbike Stand Zentral Paddock Stand Motorradständer GSXR CBR YZF R1 R6[/url]

136_0.jpg

Wonder if it would support the busa?

Rockethed using Tapatalk

Or you can try a rod or bar through the swingarm pivot and use two floor stands / jacks. I've seen guys through a strap around the frame neck and use a motor jack or come a long mounted to a beam, etc. just be careful whatever you do.

136_0.jpg

359.00 EUR plus shipping whats that in dollars

527$ not including shipping

If you have the jack stands in the garage, the rod stock is a little cheaper :laugh:

Back