Center stand for a Busa

wardie

Donating Member
Registered
Has anyone installed the factory centerstand on their Busa? If you have could you comment on the installation and how much cornering clearance you lost (if any). Wardie

There's an 07 with a center stand for sale up at the LMS. It's hard to even see it under there, doesn't look like it will hurt clearance much, if at all. Gotta take the little fairing "wings" (can't remember the official name for them) off the bottom to put the stand on. Don't think it's much of a job to install.

They are available from your dealer for Gen 1 only http://www.suzukicycles.com/Accessories/detail.aspx?modelId=f27dc642-e87b-4c2d-84e8-295de0214444&accessoryCategoryId=a4cf57c5-8016-499c-bec7-c7595610d3e4&accessoryId=96a7f8cd-9e1a-46b2-8bec-f61ce1ef46d1
There are no clearance problems, had it on at Superbike school and never scraped. The foot pegs will scrap first.
The hardest part was installing the springs, if you have a good spring puller it is not an issue. You have to remove the rear under cowl, and leave it off.
I wish Suzuki could have made it available on the Gen 2. Nice feature but I have learned to work around it. Use a quick stand when away from home and pittbull at home.

Last edited:
No problems with clearence.
Webshots.com Links Do Not Work

cheers
ken

I had one on my '06. Easy to install and no clearance problems at all. Wish they made them for my '08. Pain to oil chain on long touring rides.

I had one on my '06. Easy to install and no clearance problems at all. Wish they made them for my '08. Pain to oil chain on long touring rides.
Amen to that. I installed 1 on my 07 and loved it. I can 2nd all the info above, except I will say it was a little bit of a pain to install because you have to virtually remove the whole exhaust to get access. I eventually loosened everything to the point where I could slide that last bolt in, but if I was doing it again I think I would remove the exhaust.
I figured I could relocate the rectifier and remove the rear spoiler on my 08 but the attachment points on the frame are completely missing.

I have one on my '03 and I love it. I did raise my butt 1" so no, I have no ground clearance problems.

However, before I did the lift in back, I found that if I were going to drag anything, the footpeg would drag before the centerstand ever hit anything.

--Wag--

Thanks for the pics, kml. Very nice bike; love the paint theme. I have a centerstand that will be going on soon :).

No drag issues, but ah... my lil arse has a hell of a time getting the bike on the stand.
Very handy though, makes me feel better on long trips when u can't pack stands. :thumbsup:

The centerstand on my 00 Buse was a major point of getting it. Haven't touched it down in anyway yet.

Hayabusa 015.jpg

The hardest part was installing the springs, if you have a good spring puller it is not an issue. You have to remove the rear under cowl, and leave it off.
I wish Suzuki could have made it available on the Gen 2. Nice feature but I have learned to work around it. Use a quick stand when away from home and pittbull at home.

Yep, springs this size are a b1tch, and can be dangerous to play with.

Old mechanic's tip: To install a big spring like the one on your center stand, get a stack of nickels and force them one by one in between the loops of the spring until the spring is expanded and slips on easily. Once installed, it's easy to get the nickels back out. Pennies work too, but are thinner than nickels and sometimes won't stretch the spring long enough for an easy install.

Hope this helps someone. - Cheers, AJ

Yep, springs this size are a b1tch, and can be dangerous to play with.

Old mechanic's tip: To install a big spring like the one on your center stand, get a stack of nickels and force them one by one in between the loops of the spring until the spring is expanded and slips on easily. Once installed, it's easy to get the nickels back out. Pennies work too, but are thinner than nickels and sometimes won't stretch the spring long enough for an easy install.

Hope this helps someone. - Cheers, AJ

GREAT tip! Never thought of that--THANKS!:thumbsup:

Maybe a dumb question but....if I buy a center stand such as this one we are talking about, can I do work on the front and rear tires, change the oil...things like this with no problem? Or is it still necessary to buy front and rears or something like the Redline independent center stand?

it will be mostly for the rear tire to be lifted.. the front will come up if there is weight on the rear seat

:thumbsup: You will still need a front stand for front tire maintenance.. But the rea is no longer needed.. Center stands rock.. :cheerleader:

btw no clearance issues with mine either..

018.jpg

i want a center stand, since it'd be more stable than the stock kickstand lowered like it is, but i don't want to lose the wing, lol.

Back