Center stand thoughts?

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
Okay guys, tried the search, but didn't find anything. Who here has added the centerstand? What do you think? The way it looks you lose the normal kickstand or am I looking at this wrong? I kinda want to do it so I can lift the rear wheel, but does it become a pain to do sometimes in the parking lot? Do you not want to lock the forks if your rear tire is in the air?

I haven't found too much info about this stuff so I may be blatantly wrong about my assumptions, but let me know. Haha, thanks.

Was looking at...
Center Stand GSX1300 HAYABUSA :: Suzuki Hayabusa :: Street & SuperSport :: Oneida Suzuki Inc

Just installed this today. Really missed having a center stand. Even bought it from Oneida Suzuki. Along with the touring windscreen on clearance if came to $158 shipped.

The stand works really well. Certainly no harder to use than any other bike I've owned with a centerstand. You will suffer some loss of cornering clearance, but it looks to be about the same height as the retracted sidestand, and I never go that far over anyway.

On the down side, it was MUCH harder to install than I expected. You have to pull the lower fairings and the little lower under faring in front of the rear tire. You have to pull the exhaust cans and at least loosen the headers enough to rock them out of the way. that means you have to remove the horn and the mounts for the radiator to give you enough room to get to the front of the engine. There is no way around this.

I think someone said the shops charge 1.5 hours for this. If they can do it that fast, my hat is off to them. It took me 3 to 4 hours! Of course, this was the first time I ever pulled the fairings and there are a lot of little fasteners that aren't obvious. Factory manual helped a lot to show where they are. I'd be much faster the second time around.

Other than the time to install, I am very glad to have added the centerstand to my bike.

Suzuki Center Stand is for GEN1.
To install you must remove Belly Pan Wing for use.

I wish i could get for my GEN2 , but frame has no mounts on GEN2.

Just installed this today. Really missed having a center stand. Even bought it from Oneida Suzuki. Along with the touring windscreen on clearance if came to $158 shipped.

The stand works really well. Certainly no harder to use than any other bike I've owned with a centerstand. You will suffer some loss of cornering clearance, but it looks to be about the same height as the retracted sidestand, and I never go that far over anyway.

On the down side, it was MUCH harder to install than I expected. You have to pull the lower fairings and the little lower under faring in front of the rear tire. You have to pull the exhaust cans and at least loosen the headers enough to rock them out of the way. that means you have to remove the horn and the mounts for the radiator to give you enough room to get to the front of the engine. There is no way around this.

I think someone said the shops charge 1.5 hours for this. If they can do it that fast, my hat is off to them. It took me 3 to 4 hours! Of course, this was the first time I ever pulled the fairings and there are a lot of little fasteners that aren't obvious. Factory manual helped a lot to show where they are. I'd be much faster the second time around.

Other than the time to install, I am very glad to have added the centerstand to my bike.

eww, this is discouraging haha...after all of it are you glad you did it? does it make parking a pain at all? main benefit I see is for lubing the chain...but thats still big

You guys! I just got the answer in the mail yesterday. It is called a "Quickstand", I don't think anyone sells it except Aerostitch (go to their website). It is a 3 piece straight aluminum tube with an expandable loop wire on one end that goes on the right rear spool...the arm hangs down, you go to the other side and lift the bike up onto the kickstand/front tire and the arm wedges onto the ground and the rear wheel is 1" off the ground! If anyone has ever rolled your Busa across a motel parking lot in ten inch spurts to lube the chain...you know what a handy little 5 oz. part this will be! It's forty bucks, comes in a pouch and is really a quality piece.
Sorry I have no pics now....I'm running out to a poker game, I'll post a thread on it soon.
Meanwhile, look at it on the website.
Raydog

eww, this is discouraging haha...after all of it are you glad you did it? does it make parking a pain at all? main benefit I see is for lubing the chain...but thats still big
Well, I did take a break for a beer and a little surfing of the Busa forum. :rofl:

On a serious note, the installation was a pain, but it's one-time pain, and in exchange I have one of the most practical mods out there. Besides lubing the chain and cleaning the rear wheel, you can use it for parking with more stability than the side stand. I also use a parking garage at work and take one of the "half" spaces (which sort of gives me a "reserved space" :)). Using the centerstand takes up a lot less room in those half spaces, and in my garage. So yes, it was totally worth it to me.

Well, I did take a break for a beer and a little surfing of the Busa forum. :rofl:

On a serious note, the installation was a pain, but it's one-time pain, and in exchange I have one of the most practical mods out there. Besides lubing the chain and cleaning the rear wheel, you can use it for parking with more stability than the side stand. I also use a parking garage at work and take one of the "half" spaces (which sort of gives me a "reserved space" :)). Using the centerstand takes up a lot less room in those half spaces, and in my garage. So yes, it was totally worth it to me.

When you park on it do you still lock ur forks? does that take away balance at all?

I love my center stand. And I disagree that it will cause you to lose cornering clearance, but on the other hand, I have 1" lift on the back of mine.

More than just a chain lubing convenience. I use it instead of needing to have a rear stand.

--Wag--

The "for sale" '07 at the LMS has a center stand on it. You can still use the side stand like normal. The cornering clearance isn't a problem, if your over far enough to drag the c-stand, your going to be real close to dragging the muffler on that side too (lotta lean angle). As for install, I don't see how it could be that hard. Looks like, take the wings off and it's 4 bolts to install.

The "for sale" '07 at the LMS has a center stand on it. You can still use the side stand like normal. The cornering clearance isn't a problem, if your over far enough to drag the c-stand, your going to be real close to dragging the muffler on that side too (lotta lean angle). As for install, I don't see how it could be that hard. Looks like, take the wings off and it's 4 bolts to install.
Yep, that's all there is to it. I just pulled the exhaust for the sheer fun of it! :rofl:

According to Busa159 it can be done without removing the exhaust.. :beerchug:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/main...5-whos-installed-center-stand-their-busa.html
Don't know how he did it without pulling the exhaust UNLESS the bike already had a 4-into-1 exhaust system exiting out the right side. The pipe from the stock header ends right in front of the mounting area for the centerstand. You have a long bolt that serves as the stop for when the stand is put down. This comes in from the left (shifter) side of the bike, as does the main bolt for the stand. If you have a 4-into-1, this area is clear and you could probably install the center stand without loosening or removing the header.

All that said, I still think this is an excellent mod.

Last edited:
I ordered one of those & ended up sending it back. I am "mechanicly challenged", and it just seemed like too much hassle to be worth it. I got a rear stand instead.

I will be putting one on my bike before too long. I miss being able to easily lube my chain on a trip.

I wouldn't mind having one but to cheap to spend the cash.. :whistle:

As far as Busa159 stock exhaust on the trooper Busa BUT I don't know how he did either.. All I did was copy and paste.. :dunno:

I just got myself a 2005 Hayabusa recently. Got a center stand and tried installing it earlier. However cos the stand was involved in an accident from another previous bike, it just couldn’t stand up right on the 2 feet. It was standing on the leverage link and the far side feet. I’ll be exchanging it with seller for a sound unit. I find lifting the Hayabusa up on the center stand was really difficult. What technique did u have to lift it up? Where did u grab? Appreciate any input or help. Thank you.

Do you not have rear factory grab bar installed?
That makes it easy to pull up on the center stand.
The center stand is pretty stable and useful too.

Back