Cellphone GPS software

Rhythm

http://www.youtube.com/us
Donating Member
Registered
Recently I have been in search for a GPS and have come down to possibly purchasing a 276c Garmin  
rock.gif
Until I recently came across a cellphone GPS provider (Telnav, one of several) that offers services for  cellphone provider and my current phone model.  

The service fees is $9.99 a mth with the first month free with no activation or cancellation fee after your second mth and so on. Granted you must have a Power Vision phone ($15 Data Link ), which allows you to surf the internet via your phone or laptop.  So actually, the total cost for anyone without a D/L would be $24.00, but in my case its irrelevant because I already have the data link feature on my plan.

Moving on, I really can't compare the Telenav software with an actual non or portable type GPS, so my results are based soley on Telnav software.

After two days of use and playing around with it  I can say that I'm impress with the ease of use, and functions offered compared to some of the top of line GPS systems I've read up on.  For instance you can plan you trip prior online using Telnav webpage,  while driving using your phone key pad to enter in your destination address, or you can call in your directions to Telnav's toll free automated system or customer service operator (like onstar).

The only negative I found so far is that the speed tracking with the computerized compass fluctuates, never giving a acurate speed reading on your vehicle.  Also, if you are out of your cellphone provider area the Telnav GPS will disconnects its tracking on your location.

So my back up plan for this little problem will be to purchase a cheap portable GPS that can manage the main roads and highways when I enter into a no cell area.
Because usually when I'm in a populated area I'm able to get a signal on my cell phone ("roaming, but who cares, I have unlimited roaming  
wink.gif
).

When not in use (winter mth ) I can deactivate the GPS service and save a couple of coins for those winter modifications.  
wink.gif

Other than that I think I found a cheap effective GPS combo system for my travels.

Take a quick look at Telnav demo video to get a quick taste.
Go to video demo !

Telnav webpage.

wink.gif

Update

I just found out that the Telnav software will still continue to keep tracking and guiding you on course even when you're in a no cell area.

Heres the catch, you must be in an area where you can recieve a cellphone signal in order for the Telnav software can download mapping direction  (POI's and so on) via the data link (internet)  to your phone.  Once your directions has been downloaded into your phone the Telnav Satelites uses this information for guidance, while on the other hand using the imbedded GPS in your phone for tracking your location.

Back