**CAUTION** GoPro 3M mounts

Zoinks!

Registered
So I've had my HD Hero for close to a week now. I absolutely love the thing! I've used the suction cup mount on the car and the busa without any problems at all.

Today, however, I took it snowboarding with me. I used one of the flat 3M mounts and stuck it to the board. Before doing so, I cleaned the board thoroughly, wiped it down with rubbing alcohol to remove any left over residue, wiped it with a dry cloth and then stuck the mount on. This was all done inside where it was warm, and then it was left for 3 1/2 hours while I drove to the slopes. On my 3rd run the mount came off, taking the camera with it. It wasn't impacted by a crash or anything like that, the mount simply came off. I didn't realize it was gone till I got all the way down. Thankfully no one picked it up and kept it, cause it was still there and I found on my next run.

I don't know if maybe the cold affected the adhesive and made it come off or what, but I do know that I won't trust those things ever again. I sent GoPro an email asking what their recommendation for a snowboard mount would be, so we'll see what they say about it. I'm thinking they'll probably say to get one of the surfboard mounts, but I'm not sure. I mean, I could understand it coming off if I had crashed really hard or something like that, but all I was doing was carving down the slope.

Anyway, I just wanted to give my fellow GoPro owners the heads up. Has anyone else had issues with the 3M mounts?

So I've had my HD Hero for close to a week now. I absolutely love the thing! I've used the suction cup mount on the car and the busa without any problems at all.

Today, however, I took it snowboarding with me. I used one of the flat 3M mounts and stuck it to the board. Before doing so, I cleaned the board thoroughly, wiped it down with rubbing alcohol to remove any left over residue, wiped it with a dry cloth and then stuck the mount on. This was all done inside where it was warm, and then it was left for 3 1/2 hours while I drove to the slopes. On my 3rd run the mount came off, taking the camera with it. It wasn't impacted by a crash or anything like that, the mount simply came off. I didn't realize it was gone till I got all the way down. Thankfully no one picked it up and kept it, cause it was still there and I found on my next run.

I don't know if maybe the cold affected the adhesive and made it come off or what, but I do know that I won't trust those things ever again. I sent GoPro an email asking what their recommendation for a snowboard mount would be, so we'll see what they say about it. I'm thinking they'll probably say to get one of the surfboard mounts, but I'm not sure. I mean, I could understand it coming off if I had crashed really hard or something like that, but all I was doing was carving down the slope.

Anyway, I just wanted to give my fellow GoPro owners the heads up. Has anyone else had issues with the 3M mounts?

Did you catch a shot of the crash when it fell off?

I didn't crash. . .

What resort were you riding at?

Sugar mtn.

I caught that you didnt, the camera had to have if it fell off!!!!!!!!

Ahhh, gotcha. Well yes, I did get the "crash" video, but it landed with the lens in the snow, so it was dark after that. But 4 people did run into it while it was sitting there. Which was nice cause it kept recording and after the last hit it was facing up, so I could see the red light flashing from the lift while I was going back up, so I knew where to get off and go get it.

Sugar mtn.

Ahhh, gotcha. Well yes, I did get the "crash" video, but it landed with the lens in the snow, so it was dark after that. But 4 people did run into it while it was sitting there. Which was nice cause it kept recording and after the last hit it was facing up, so I could see the red light flashing from the lift while I was going back up, so I knew where to get off and go get it.

Kewl. good thing it isnt broken.

Well here's the run right before the one described in this thread. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here's the run right before the one described in this thread. . .

Night riding and crappy 'ole East Coast granular snow blowers making fake *yuck* The place looks dead & it sounds like your riding on ice.

Sorry bro...having learned to ride just a bit North in Seven Springs, PA I know how it is.

But after having lived in Vail,CO for four years not to long ago...I'm a spoiled brat now. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
That slope did have a lot of ice. It was dead, which was nice cause there was absolutely no line to get on the lifts. I would love to go someplace with nicer conditions, but I just don't have the time or money right now. That was there and back in a day and $23 lift ticket. I'd be spoiled if I were you too.:laugh:

That slope did have a lot of ice. It was dead, which was nice cause there was absolutely no line to get on the lifts. I would love to go someplace with nicer conditions, but I just don't have the time or money right now. That was there and back in a day and $23 lift ticket. I'd be spoiled if I were you too.:laugh:

It's all good bro...you were out riding and enjoying yourself, that's all that matters :thumbsup:

Do the best you can save up some cheddar and make it out West to ride at least once man. It's like nothing you can imagine. Plus you appear to already have the basic skills needed to really take full advantage of riding in powder.

As far as the mount goes I would call or email and Talk to the folks at GoPro and see what they have to say and if they have any recommendations for you to keep the camera attached to the board. Hell if they can keep it attached to a surf board they shoeld be able to keep it attached to a snow board.

You need to mount some HIDs on that board for those dark areas. I kept waiting for ya to roll over someone. Looks like you had fun.

Video Quality was EXCELLENT

That is 3M VHB tape that they use. It's really just about Superglue in a tape form, and it's about the best stuff there is, but 3 hours was not enough. You've got to give it 24 hours to "set" to make sure you get the best adhesion.....and both it and the board all need to be at room temp or higher for the entire 24 hrs...

Video Quality was EXCELLENT

That is 3M VHB tape that they use. It's really just about Superglue in a tape form, and it's about the best stuff there is, but 3 hours was not enough. You've got to give it 24 hours to "set" to make sure you get the best adhesion.....and both it and the board all need to be at room temp or higher for the entire 24 hrs...

Ahhh. I was kind of wondering about that after the fact, but I thought 3 1/2 hours should be enough. Obviously I was wrong. There's probably something in the "mounting tips" pamphlet about that. . . Oh well. I'll probably just wind up buying one of the surf board expansions for it though.

I used one on the knee board with the provided stick on without any issues...but I figured the whole time I was going to lose it~!~

I even tied eye glass floaties to it :laugh:

Back