Cast Iron Rotors vs Stainless Steel Rotors

Fernando

Registered
Im a not a subject matter expert through this channel lol. If I'm not mistaken, Cast Iron provides a higher coefficient of friction over stainless, with more feel and feedback at the brake lever plus better thermal transfer capability over Stainless steel. Another note,Cast iron material rusts if it get wet ,but anyways I don't ride my bike in raining days. What's your opinion on this topic,Thanks.

Im a not a subject matter expert through this channel lol. If I'm not mistaken, Cast Iron provides a higher coefficient of friction over stainless, with more feel and feedback at the brake lever plus better thermal transfer capability over Stainless steel. Another note,Cast iron material rusts if it get wet ,but anyways I don't ride my bike in raining days. What's your opinion on this topic,Thanks.
I like stainless its lighter and it doesnt rust cast iron it wears faster than the stainless there you go a few pros and cons

Screenshot_20221208-185730_Samsung Internet.jpg

I had brembo full floaters on my past Ducati and Bimota... I used to love the jingle sound of the floaters... Went well with the rattle of the Ducati clutch. I hated the surface rust but never had cracking issues and these bikes were track ridden. I did however toss them aside for wave stainless... Combined with lighter wheels the weight savings were tremendous in the turns and I don't remember the feel or stopping distance changing enough to notice at my amateur level

@Robert 0046 lol tracking. I'm not trying to convince nobody in this post, just trying to get some info. I know it says prone to Crack in the report but I don't sure about it. if not XDA racers and Larry Mcbride wouldn't use Beringer Cast iron rotors . Just my opinion.:beerchug:
I don’t agree with that logic. Top level racers would use the best available and consider the part a maintenance item. The same concept applies to car guys using aluminum rods, they just replace the rods and pistons together and they are maintenance items. Top level XDA bikes never see the street and they just replace the rotors if there is an issue.

Reference for this at the 3:30 mark:

I’d say the “baller option” would make a greater difference than the material of the disc. To me, unless you get the baller option Beringer brakes aren’t worth the money.

For your question on cast iron vs stainless. The difference is 100 grams. I’m a weight weenie and love to reduce weight anywhere possible. Butt, and that’s a big butt, an empty water bottle is 80 grams. So I’d take the 100 gram weight penalty for the stainless because it’s going to be easier to live with.

A37428AD-2DB9-460C-8B2F-EA7D1C3D1671.jpeg

I don’t agree with that logic. Top level racers would use the best available and consider the part a maintenance item. The same concept applies to car guys using aluminum rods, they just replace the rods and pistons together and they are maintenance items. Top level XDA bikes never see the street and they just replace the rotors if there is an issue.

Reference for this at the 3:30 mark:

I’d say the “baller option” would make a greater difference than the material of the disc. To me, unless you get the baller option Beringer brakes aren’t worth the money.

For your question on cast iron vs stainless. The difference is 100 grams. I’m a weight weenie and love to reduce weight anywhere possible. Butt, and that’s a big butt, an empty water bottle is 80 grams. So I’d take the 100 gram weight penalty for the stainless because it’s going to be easier to live with.

View attachment 1658577
"Top level racers would use the best available" just saying..

Screenshot_20221210_122717_Gallery.jpg

Maybe I wasn’t clear that I know/agree Beringer is the best brake out there for going as fast as possible because with the baller option there is zero brake drag.

Pro racers choose cast iron because want the extra 100 gram savings and don’t care about any potential downsides. If I went with Beringer I’d get stainless because they are easier to live with for the guy who does some street riding. I tried my best to provide context as to why I would choose stainless.

Also cast iron disc without the baller option is pointless if you ask me.

Are you going with the baller option?

@tonyM955 We are good brother.
For those who don't know yet, Beringers stainless steel brake discs can be used with factory calipers (Brembo) but the factory pads are required to be replaced by Beringer 1200S which are designed for road use. Also these brake pads can be used with cast irons. But for better performance is highly recommended for cast iron rotors Beringer brake calipers.This information that I shared with you comes from Mr. Phillipe Dahn who is the representative of Beringer in the USA. Beringer is made in France.
Yes, I ordered the Beringer Aero Caliper 108mm with titanium pistons with magnets brake calipers. :beerchug:

Thanks @Fernando. That’s quite the upgrade sir! I figured you went with the “baller option”. I’m interested to hear your experience with them- I highly doubt you’ll be disappointed.

Do we even know for sure the Beringer cast iron rotors rust? The study of metallurgy engineering has come a long way and they likely have their own proprietary blend of steel for these rotors to mitigate the negatives of cast iron. It’s not like they are using the same blend that’s in my Lodge cast iron skillet. :laugh:

I wouldn’t put any weight in the info graph/pic posted above. The company who posted that comparison sells stuff at wal mart, Amazon, and eBay. They say “quite brittle and more prone to crack”. This sounds like an uneducated comment at best.

To my original point, they say go with stainless steel for daily use but we don’t exactly use our bikes for all weather/daily commuting. :D

8D78418A-F216-499E-A5E6-335888148853.jpeg

:thumbsup:@TonyM995
I agree with you 100%. You know how marketing is these days, and many companies love to throw other companies under the bus without having the correct knowledge of what they are talking about. Research with no sense.

///Break///

The Cast vs Steel price difference isn't much, so I decided to do it right at once, plus the shine that those steel discs bring is something I don't like. Actually, I'm looking for stopping brake power for when I go running on the Gandy Bridge in Tampa,FL. And that's what i want. Rust is not a big concern for me. Who likes to ride on rainy days??? Thank you. I will keep you Posted

Back